Leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees

by John_Mann 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Jesus said about keeping off from the leaven (meaning influence? ) of the pharisees and that's why the use of azim bread in the supper. But what about the leavened grape juice aka wine? What's the point? Why not follow the logic and use unleavened grape juice too? 

• prologos
    prologos

Leaven will cause the dough to rise, creating a bloated structure, full of hot air, air that is of no nutritional value.

much of the wt output is just that, churning, foam.

let's raise a glass to natural fermentation and its uplifting results.  

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Unleavened bread and the leaven of the pharisees are not the same thing. The bread used during the Lord's supper was bread that was specified for use during the Passover. Exodus 12 contains the instructions for the Passover meal.

The leaven of the Pharisees, according to Matthew 16:6, was their teaching. Luke 12:1 calls the leaven of the Pharisees hypocrisy.

Leaven has a few figurative meanings. In one case, Jesus likened the Kingdom of the heaves to leaven that ferments a bunch of flour. His meaning appears to be that it would have a lot of growth. (Matt 13:33)

In another case, leaven was used to represent badness. 1 Cor 5:6-8.

As for the wine, I don't know that the Bible even says it was wine. I've never looked closely enough. Matt 26:29 calls it, "this product of the vine". 1 Cor 11:21 says that some were taking his own evening meal and getting intoxicated. That may indicate it was wine. But the accounts of the evening meal simply say, "the cup" and "this product of the vine". I leave what particular beverage it was to scholars and historians.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    Thank you. 
  • Half banana
    Half banana

The reason that alcoholic and hence fermented wine would have been used at the memorial is because the  ritual, along with its specific symbolism were stolen from the cult of the ‘Good shepherd’ Mithras. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit