Twisted Scriptures of the Watchtower - Part 2

by joe_from_kokomo 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• joe_from_kokomo
    joe_from_kokomo

Friends:

This one may not qualify as a "fully-twisted" scripture, in the sense that so many others are more twisted and more misused, and more transliterated. But, I did run across a scripture that is incorrectly translated in the New World Translation I felt it needs to be brought to light. The scripture in question is Phillipians 1:21, which reads in the NWT as follows:

Phil 1:21: For in my case to live is Christ, and to die, gain.

To read this scripture is to be immediately confused, and even a contextual reading of surrounding scriptures will not clear up the meaning. Why? The answer is explained by the scholar, Hugh J. Schonfield in his book, "The Original New Testament" pg. xxx. Note what the author states:

"For over fifteen hundred years the New Testament documents were hand-written by scribes, and mistakes could thus be made by carelessness and inattentiveness on the party of the copyists. One such slip has already been noted where christos has been read instead of chrestos at Phil 1:21. Paul had not said "For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain". What he had said was "It is useful (chrestos) for me to live, and and advantage to die...and I hardly know which to choose. I am in a quandry between the two.""

The Watchtower, however, seems to have made no effort at carefulness or attentiveness in their publication of the New World Translation by its anonymous committee of Franz. Nor have they made any effort to update their translation and correct such obvious errors, as the current version of the NWT still employs the errant translation at Phil 1:21. If you were confused when you read it, now you know why!

The Watchtower even tries to make sense out of their own erroneous translation of Phil 1:21, as this excerpt of the Watchtower from March 1, 1995 illustrates so well:

At Philippians 1:21, 23, Paul says: "In my case to live is Christ, and to die, gain. I am under pressure from these two things; but what I do desire is the releasing and the being with Christ, for this, to be sure, is far better." Does Paul here refer to an "intermediate state"? Some think so. However, Paul says that he was put under pressure by two possibilities—life or death. "But what I do desire," he added, mentioning a third possibility, "is the releasing and the being with Christ." A "releasing" to be with Christ immediately after death? Well, as already seen, Paul believed that faithful anointed Christians would be resurrected during the presence of Christ. Therefore, he must have had in mind the events of that period.

To be fair, many other modern translations also got it wrong, including the Amplified New Testament, the Emphatic Diaglott, the NIV, American Standard Version, New Living Translation, New American Standard and the New King James. In fact, very few Bibles have rendered this scripture correctly.

But, the Watchtower Society claims that their Bible is the most modern and up-to-date translation, one that was based on the earliest versions of various manuscripts, yet it still is in error. And their publications then expound on and seek to explain error with more error...

Perhaps this is a minor mistranslation in the grand scheme of things, but I thought those of you with an interest in detailed scriptural matters would appreciate this information.

• Francois
    Francois

I see your point. And I have one of my own.

I think you may agree that the subject scripture is a relatively mild mistranslation, likely absent any doctrinal implications or fooling around.

HOWEVER. There is another scripture that has been deliberately and maliciously and consciously and for doctrinal reasons FOOLED AROUND WITH. And that scripture is Luke 17:21 "...Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you."

Now, the WTBTS, in its humorous translation, The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, renders this scripture as, neither shall they say, look for it here, or look for it there, for behold, the kingdom of God is in your midst. (No quotes here since I don't have an NWT and recall it from memory. The essential point is made via the words "...is in your midst."

I charge that the subject scripture has been deliberately mistranslated by the WTBTS. For if it gets about that the actual spirit of God is indeed within each of us, what need then is there for their corrupt little religious cult?

And what purpose serves the so-called "faithful and discreet slave"?

And why would any human being need any organization to lead it to The Master through whom all shall approach the living God?

The word translated "in your midst" does not have the meaning that, for example, the 8-ball sits on the table in the midst of the other balls. Rather the word means inside you. In fact, the WTBTSs own publication, The Interlinear Translation, et al, says the Kingdom of God inside of you is. Yet they make it to mean in your midst, referring to The Master standing in the midst of the Pharisees. Close but no cigar.

Each and every person ever born on this planet, and those yet to be born, has or will have this same uniform spirit guide within their own heart/mind. And it remains only for us to make contact with this indwelling Spirit and to listen to its small, quiet voice for our sure direction.

Organized religions constitute the human need to socialize the spirit urge arising from within us as individuals. The valiant in Spirit, glory in seeking this Divine Guide alone.

Is it clear how the WTBTS has mistranslated this scripture, and also WHY they did it? And now it makes sense the scripture in Romans which says, "for as many as are led by the spirit of God, they are the children of God?"

Good luck my friends as you search to make your own contact with your indwelling spark of God.

francois

• starScream
    starScream

Thanks Joe,

I seem to remember reading that scripture before and not knowing what to make of it. That sure clears it up.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Good information, thanks.

• Introspection
    Introspection

I haven't read this thread at all, but just wanted to share that I thought of Twisted Scriptures as the name of a band, you know instead of Twisted Sisters...

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Or how about the MUNISCOPALIANS? Garbagemen were clerical collars.

• heathen
    heathen

I agree that the bible has been tampered with in some cases it is obvious . The WT is constantly coming up with "new light " in order to try and keep up with all misinterpretations .The apostles clearly believed in an instantanious resurection up to the point when revelations was finished and the WT believes that all 1st century christians were anointed and there was no great crowd of other witnesses .It seems that alot of teachings in the new testament were some what confusing or misinformation . The apostle Paul especially seemed to have a hard time expressing the " Light " in union with the other apostles .The inspired expressions were often refered to as opinions by the apostle paul and some how became church law . The WT seems to never have an opinion but always has exclusive information directly from God .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit