Deprogramming

by UnshackleTheChains 9 Replies latest members campaign

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Hi all,

I watched a fascinating programme on Netflix called 'Deprogrammed'

It was primarily about the methods used by Ted Patrick in the 70s and 80s to deprogram individuals involved in cults. He was hired by parents to use his methods which involved kidnapping/ abduction and imprisonment! Obviously, he ended up in prison quite often as a result.

It is interesting though that despite his bizzarr methods, he was considered a pioneer in helping to deprogram individuals involved in various cults. What I found interesting is that in most cases, many of the individuals returned back to the cult, but eventually left some years later when they themselves came to a realisation (woke up) that they were indeed part of a mind control group.

Where am I going with this?

Well, in regards to waking up and opening an individual's mind, I found the programme interesting in that it was the subtle things that helped cult members to start questioning things. Ted Patrick s methods were wrong re abduction, imprisonment etc, but when talking calmly to cult members, he had managed to sow some seeds which the individual would later think about.

Having been indoctrinated as Jehovah's Witnesses, I believe it's even harder to deprogram because we are surrounded by family and friends, intelligent people who are continuously reinforcing in our minds that the Watchtower society is the truth. It is no wonder so many are messed up when they leave.

In regards to deprogramming, I know that Steven Hassans books are meant to be quite good. Has anyone read these? Did they help you personally to 'deprogram'? Is there any other effective books that can help individuals and their families deprogram from Watchtower?

I would be grateful if you could mention some books you personally found beneficial.

Thanks

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I like some of the things Steve says in his books about trying to get people to be in thier natural self and then talk to them an plant seeds while thier guard is down so to speak. Other then that I didn't find anything specific to help JWs wake up.

Your right that cult members are surrounded by family and friends that help to keep them in and brainwashed so to speak. The other thing cults do is the constant re-enforcement of thier propaganda every week or day. I also don't think people are very smart in the JW cult, another thing cults do is try to keep thier members stupid.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" another thing cults do is try to keep their members stupid."

The sad thing is that far from thinking they are ignorant, another lie they are constantly told is that they are well informed,so they believe they are.

It was only after I woke up and left that I realised how woefully ignorant, and ill-informed and under educated I was.

And those in my Congregation considered me well educated and smart !

The comparisons with North Korea are becoming a cliche here, but it really is a good example.

So, how do we de-programme ? Once the JW has escaped, they need education, as much as they can take.

• Londo111
    Londo111

It is easier to extract individuals from small, first generation cults because a person's friends and family are normally all on the outside. When these people wake up, they've somewhere to go to.

It's much more difficult for older cults like the JWs, many are second, third, fourth generation born-ins. Everyone they've known since birth have been JWs. And they've no outside world to compare with.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

One of the things I found Fascinating with the documentary about these smaller Bible based cults was the fact they were constantly reminded of Matt 10:36 that a man's enemies would be members of his own household.

Does that sound familiar?

Last year's convention regarding loyalty to Jehovah springs to mind.

Also, these ones were to cut ties with all their old friends unless they were part of their cult (ie bad association) We see this happening with all sorts of cults and high control groups.

I remember cutting ties with all my friends (and believe me when I say I had many friends I grew up with in my home town). They couldn't understand. I remember the look on one of my friends faces when I told him I had got baptized as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. He looked shocked.

I went from a care free fun loving guy who enjoyed going out every weekend to a serious minded recluse who drank at home all the time. I was a young man back then, easily led and manipulated like the individuals in the documentary.

I was coerced and pressured into this religion even after adamantly telling everyone I did not want to get baptized. I fool heartedly went ahead anyway, even though I new I shouldn't have. And here I am today...Chained to an American corporation/organisation (no offence to Americans btw). ๐Ÿ˜‘๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I would be grateful if you could mention some books you personally found beneficial.

For what I know from professionals in the matter, they do not recommend any of the "deprogramming" methods they used in the 70s and 80s. In fact, they don't even use the term deprogramming anymore.

Some reading material:

Adult Children of Parental Alienation Syndrome: Breaking the Ties that Bind, by Amy J. L. Baker

Betrayal of the Spirit, by Nori J. Muster.

Born and Raised in a Sect: You are Not Alone, by Lois Kendall.

Bounded Choice: True Believers and Charismatic Cults, by Janja Lalich

Churches that Abuse, by Ronald M. Enroth

Combating Cult Mind Control: The #1 Best-selling Guide to Protection, Rescue, and Recovery from Destructive Cults, by Steven Hassan

Coping with Cult Involvement: A Handbook for Families and Friends, by By Livia Bardin, M.S.W.

Crazy Therapies, by Margaret Singer & Janja Lalich

Cult Survivorโ€™s Handbook, by Nori Muster

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

scratchme1010.

Thanks for that list

I think for now I might give Steven Hassans book a read as he comes up a lot as a recommended read. But will keep some of the others you mentioned in mind for future..

• smiddy
    smiddy

UsTC judging from what you have posted I get the impression you want these books for yourself ? that you are really looking at deprogramming yourself from the JW religion is that right ?

If so I could offer no better book than"Captives of A Concept" by a former Elder Don Cameron.

It is simply written exposes" the wizard behind the curtain" in such a way that you will wonder how you ever believed this religion in the first place

Using the WT own publications he simply systematically breaks down their claims of being chosen by God in the first place.

If I am wrong and you want the information for other people then other posters have more than covered that .

Take care.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Thanks Smiddy.

Yeah I read captives of a concept. In fact my wife gave me a right bolloking for having bought it as she found it in my drawer. It's a great book.

It's not me that needs deprogrammed as I am fully awake, it's more about how I can subtly wake up my family members without creating too much trauma. Thanks for your input and highlighting that book.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The only word of warning I would give is, don't get too upset and frustrated if nothing seems to work with your JW loved ones.

Some on here have been lucky, some of us not. So far. But I never give up trying, your never know when subtly planted seeds will eventually germinate and grow.

Good luck !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit