Bob Hope turns 100! From "The Onion" (fluff)

by CaptainSchmideo 1 Replies latest jw friends

• CaptainSchmideo
  • Shakita
    Shakita

Bob Hope, more than anyone, enjoyed a good joke. But, I am not too sure that this is a funny one! Just my opinion, of course.

In the next century it is predicted that there may be as many as 2,500,000 persons 100 years of age and older. We all could be "Bob Hope" in years to come.....I enjoy a good "Oops I crapped my pants" joke just like anyone, but after watching my parents suffer with problems associated with old age, I find myself feeling very empathic to those who summon up the courage everyday to deal with all the social and physical problems that come with growing older. I think they should be applauded instead of insulted.

Bob Hope, D.L.

One hundred years ago today, May 29, 2003, two events occurred: one in England, the birth of Leslie Townes "Bob" Hope, and one in the United States, the founding of the Ford Motor Company. Both turned out to be remarkable events, as the automobile allowed people to move around with greater ease, revolutionizing commerce and social interchange. And the future entertainer, like so many other persons born elsewhere, came to America and changed us for the better, too. He mastered the art of joke telling, and since laughter is good medicine, he deserves the appellation of Doctor of Laughs.

Few persons in the arts have had the influence on societies worldwide as has Dr. Hope: his movies, his TV shows, his trips overseas during times of war, all gave many people hope for better times. When you’re laughing, you’re not feeling so bad.

And Dr. Hope has given us another lesson in life today when he joined that elite group of mankind who comprise the Centenarians Club. Over 77,000 Americans are already in the club, with membership expected to swell to almost a million by the middle of this century. When Willard Scott of NBC TV wished Dr. Hope a Happy Birthday this morning, he also recognized many other centenarians. So many are featured daily that it seems commonplace now, and a growing number are called "super centenarians," being over 105.

The big question for all of us is this: "Will we be one of them?" Since we don’t know, perhaps we ought to live our lives as if we will join that club. To have a shot at being inducted, we will need good physical, mental, spiritual, social, and economic health now and over time. The other things we will need are a lot of fun and laughter.

So Dr. Hope, Happy 100 th Birthday and thanks for not only the memories but for the cure, too.

So, Happy Birthday, Mr. Hope, from my parents and all those who you entertained throughout your precious life.

Mrs. Shakita

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit