Update on my elderly mom

by Sadie5 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

Good morning to all,

First let me apologize for any typos I make while posting this. Tis a bit early and my hands and eyes aren't working to well together yet.

Took mom to the doctor on May 23rd. He said it wasn't her knees, but her hips that are bad. Wanted to have her get an injection and x-ray of her left hip.

It took until yesterday afternoon, about 3:00p.m. to get this thing scheduled. I am so tired of being shuffled around by people over this. After a few days had passed, I called the doctor's office to see if they had scheduled it. They told me to call hospital#1 to set up a time. I called there and they said there wasn't enough information on the shot, so I had to call her doctor's office and tell them to send more information which they did. The hospital then called back and said they couldn't do the shot and I would have to call her doctor's office, which I did. Her doctor's office then set it up with hospital#2 and another doctor would come in to give the shot. The new doctor's office called and said for her to stay off some of her meds, to get ready for this shot. this was Friday the 30th, that they called. Scheduled for Tuesday, the 3rd. Then Friday night about 5 p.m., the first doctor's office called and said, hospital #2 could not do it, because of an insurance problem. So they would reschedule it with hospital#1 or hospital #3. I called hospital#2 to ask about the insurance. They said it wouldn't be a problem, then called doctor#2 to see if we could arrange it again. They said it was because the area of the hospital that was being used, the insurance wouldn't pay. Guess it wouldn't pay if the shot was given in this particular area. (Makes no sense to me) So I called doctor#!1 office and said hospital #1 or # 3 are fine, lets just get this done. They finally called yesterday afternoon with a time at hospital #3. Sure hope it's for real this time.

Sure hope surgery isn't this complicated. Will most like spend the day waiting for her to get in. Have a great day.

Sadie

• blondie
    blondie

Hi Sadie5. Imagine if she didn't have you to help her. It seems that medical care gets more complicated and difficult to figure out the older you get, when it gets harder to keep it straight. I used to help one woman with her medications, picking them up and putting them in her daily reminder box. It took me and her son to keep everything straight.

What a great daughter!

Blondie

• DJ
    DJ

(((((((((((Sadie))))))))))))

I know what that is like. I've been going thru that stuff by myself for my dad's brain cancer treatments for two years now. Your post reminds me of my daily nonsense that I go thru....My mom or siblings have no idea what that is like or how much time ot takes up. It has basically controlled my life for the past two years. Everything else in my life has gone on hold. I glady do it for my pop but my jw siblings just don't get what is involved in handling this end of it. It is hard, I know Sadie. I hope that your family appreciates all that you do. Does your mom need a hip replacement for sure? How could they get knee and hip pain confused? Oh......nevermind. My dad nearly had his brain radiated with such a high level that if I didn't catch it and have the amount lowered....he would have died from it a year ago. It is a big responsiblity to be on top of itall. I appreciate you. Love, dj

• fairy
    fairy

over a period of a couple of yrs my mum had 2 hip operations...had "new" ones put in.

when she had the operations she was awake-they gave her an injection that only put the lower half of her body to "sleep"......she reckons it sounded like a carpentry shop.!!

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

Thanks everyone for the comments. She had the injection yesterday and she seems to be out of pain. they said the shot should last weeks or months.

She has said her knees hurt a lot. Her family doctor said her knees were wore out, gave her injections in the knees, but that brought no relief to her. He suggested the orthropedic surgeon, who said it didn't look like knees to him but hips were the problem. So they put the injection in her hip and it brought relief to her knees.

He seems hesitant about surgery, wants to work with the injections for now. She just wants to be out of pain, and be able to get around so we'll work with the shots for now.

Sadie

• little witch
    little witch

Hi Sadie

Sorry to hear that your mom is in pain.

I just wanted to pass a suggestion along. When your mom is lying down, have her put a big pillow between her knees, it will keep her hips aligned. Hopefully she will rest better, It worked for me when I was pregnant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit