Networking question

by jelly 5 Replies latest jw friends

• jelly
    jelly

This is probably a stupid question but can you set up a client – server network with XPpro or are you limited to simply peer to peer.

• donkey
    donkey

Jelly,

What are you trying to accomplish? Perhaps a stupid donkey can help...

Jack

• jelly
    jelly

Nothing major, I have just had alot of classes of network theory with very little practicle. I have a few old computers and I wanted to set up a network. Peer to peer does not interest me I want to set up an actual client server config, and screw around with granting privlidges(sp? Im really tired). I dont want to cant drop down the cash for Win 2000k pro and was wondering can I do the same thing with winXPpro.

Terry

ps. thanks for the quick response.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

IIRc, XP Pro on its own is limited to a workgroup network.

However if you really want to, you can have 2000 server running Active directory, or for that matter a NT PDC and set up the Professional instillations to run as an old-fashioned domain (or even find an old Novell server and use NDS which run's better anyway)

• donkey
    donkey

The default file sharing in XP is called Simple File sharing whereby you share the files to other users.

You can, however, set up file sharing on a Workgroup with ACL privileges on the file shares.

If you truly want to get into heavy duty stuff then I siggest you get a server, install Win2k or Win2003 server on it and setup a domain and have fun Active Directory and Group Policy Objects (I don't know how much you know or are interested in this).

If however you want to enable internet connection sharing then I recommend a router and do the sharing from there. If you use a domain controller then you will need to setup Proxy Server or ISA server to get out (this involves server and client installation).

Have fun and yell if you have any specific questions.

Jack

• jelly
    jelly

Thank you both.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit