What changes did you make in order to become a JW?

by JH 8 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Did you have to make BIG efforts in order to become a JW? Were there many bad habits that you had to abandon in order to meet the criterias of the Watchtower?

• Litebriterstill
    Litebriterstill

We had to stop doing holidays. I hated them anyway, phoney celebrations that they are. Birthdays were hard to quit because they were fun. Another change was all the service I had to put in. We got in trouble for our "R" movies like Terminator. The bigest change was that we had no life as we had known it before. Everything was serious. The GESTAPO was always watching. Even at JW parties there were ones from the force to spy and ridicule. They even told you how to have fun!

• shamus
    shamus

I quit smoking; threw out all kinds of cool tapes, like the doors, led zeppellin, yada yada yada...

• freeman
    freeman

I lost the long hair, the beard, a lot of girlfriends and the nukie that goes with that, the 2 pack a day cigarette habit (the only good thing I lost), a hi paying defense related job, my playboy/penthouse collection, my pot plants, all the holidays and getting together with my family. I’ve got to stop now; this is starting to piss me off!

Freeman

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

The usual - got my haircut, threw away a bunch of CD's, quit swearing.

• Hamas
    Hamas

I was raised a JW but still managed to recieve scholership from the elders as to how to be a full blown JW.

In essence, I became less of a person and more of a robot.

• blondie
    blondie

Being raised in a semi-JW family, not a thing. I was one of those good ones. Baptism did not bring the peace of mind and heart I expected and within a year I was an irregular publisher (don't you love those labels?)

Blondie

• mouthy
    mouthy

Quit smoking
    Swearing
    adultry
    did obey my husband( submission)
    didnt associate with "real "friends & family
    eating blood pudding
    balony ( unless it was wax)
    Telling dirty jokes
    became self rightous
    pious
    judgemental
    Hey I was a real robot..........

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Like many other i was raised from about 5 years old, so i did not personally sacrifice things, just never started them . There were a couple of decisions that have later turned desasterous - perhaps I will describe them some day. With me it has been more , "Opportunities forgon"

Shamus

threw out all kinds of cool tapes, like the doors, led zeppellin, yada yada yada...

I bet you would have felt even worse at the time, if you had known that elders .like I was, were heavily into this wonderful music

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit