I'm desperate for a good R***

by Beck_Melbourne 9 Replies latest social entertainment

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

...a good READ - anyone got some suggestions? I've just finished Jean Auel's last book in the Clan of the Cavebear series...and Wilbur Smith's latest (don't bother, its cr*p), and now I'm hard up for another book, but I tend to sway back to the author's I know.

Sooo...if you know of any great books/authors/dynasties...please do tell. It was suggested I try the Chung Kuo series by David something something....has anyone else read these? What did you think? Does anyone here like James Clavell's books? I can't seem to get into Gai Jin, I'm just wondering if its worth my while to perservere.

Help - suggestions welcome.

~Beck~

• heathen
    heathen

I saw the movie clan of the cave bear and thought it sucked . I am a big horror fan so would recommend Stephen KIng or Dean Koontz.I am also looking for good books to read and new authors .

• onacruse
    onacruse

Beck, aren't you supposed to be doing dishes, making beds, and changing diapers? How have you time to read?

Craig (of the "expects the wrath of OzzieLand to come down upon him" class)

btw, I haven't seen UB posting lately...and how about barry?

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Edited because that wasn't the joke I was attempting. BTW, I think you guys should offer her the other kind of r***...

• Rainmakerone
    Rainmakerone

i dont mind a bit of james clavell..... "tiapan" and "king rat" are better than gai jin i think

eric lustbader is fantastic.... try the "nicolas linnear" novels......... "the ninja" etc

val mcdermot is a new gal i have been readin lately.... worth a look i think :)

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hoppin Roos! Steph is doin Beck's house-chores

Now I know what "togetherness" means LOL

Craig

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Hi Beck! Looking fine as ever!

So you are looking for a good read?

What type of books do you like? Science fiction? Fantasy? Romance? True Crime? Action-Adventure?

If you want something that is absolutely breathtaking that will consume your thought and take a long time to finish and fully comprehend, I would suggest The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. It is a prelude to the Lord of The Rings, which provides a VERY detailed history of Middle-Earth chronicling the First and Second Ages (The Lord of the Rings trilogy novels took place in the Third Age)

To give you an idea of how colossal this work was, The Silmarillion took Tolkien over 50 years to complete, and there are TWELVE Appendix books (each Appendix book in itself is several hundred pages with stories and detailed information included to enhance the story) to collect and read.

After reading this collection, it solidified my belief that the Bible is a joke. Why? If ONE MAN could write something so elegant, so beautiful, so immaculately detailed, with SO many intricacies... over a fifty year period.. complete with action, romance, deceit, murder, political intrigue, gods, allegories, fables.. etc. how can one allege the Bible is the work of God? In fact, to be honest, The Silmarillion is more coherent and mystical than the Bible ever will be, and a longer publication.

Have fun.

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

ahhh... another silmarillion fan.

Good to see....

Beck, another great series is "The Wheel of time" by Robert Jordan. Great piece of fantasy literature.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

If you like satire, there's always the "Revelation Climax" book!!!........no?..oh well.....

• Agent Double- O- Soul
    Agent Double- O- Soul

It all depends on what your bag is to start with I suppose - & I woz never a great reader to start with - but autobiog-wise I thought 'The Moon's A Balloon' by David Niven woz great, even if you're not into actors or Hollywood reads, which I'm not. Years since I read it but there's some really hilarious stuff in there. The story about the wealthy dude who'd hire a bunch of prostitutes & get them to stand in a circle with a peacock feather up their backsides as he stood in the middle with a feather up his own while getting off on pecking at the corn chucked on the floor ( I think they didn't get paid if they laughed ) is an image, among others, you don't easily forget. A funny life story, ups & downs, triumphs & tragedies etc. Well worth a read but maybe not your thing, autobiogs?

Hope this helps.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit