Confronting Parents About 607 vs 587

by breezy 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Your parents cannot accept that they bet on the wrong horse so it doesn't matter what the facts are. Due to cognitive dissonance, they will automatically reject any information that conflicts with their belief system.

It's so ridiculous because they go door to door telling people to get out of false religion, but they never question their own beliefs. The bible says to "keep testing as to whether these things are so", but anybody that asks questions is vilified. If what they have is "the truth", it should be easily proved, lies should be easily disproved, so why are they so afraid of "apostate lies"?

This is why they demonize so called apostates (a word not even in the bible). They are afraid because they know they are wrong. If their arguments for 607 were sound, they could easily publish a book or pamphlet refuting the 587 date reasoning, laying it all out so that anyone could understand it, but they don't because they cannot defend the 607 date.

• cappytan
    cappytan

Here is how to prove 587 using only JW literature. (Copypasta courtesy of u/wifibandit)

EDIT: Formatting sucked when I copy/pasted.

See source here: https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/37e61s/587_vs_607_jw_sources_only/

• LeeT
    LeeT

Well I'm 3 years late to this party but thought I'd add this as the simplest method I've found for arriving at 587 BCE using only WT literature.

Zechariah 1:1 NWT

"In the eighth month in the second year of Da·riʹus, the word of Jehovah came to the prophet Zech·a·riʹah son of Ber·e·chiʹah son of Idʹdo, saying: ..."

it-2 p. 1225 Zechariah, Book of

"Since it was in the “eighth month in the second year of Darius” (October/November 520 B.C.E.) that “the word of Jehovah occurred to Zechariah” (1:1), the book covers a period of at least two years."

Zech 1:7,12 NWT

"7 On the 24th day of the 11th month, that is, the month of She'bat, in the second year of Da·ri'us, the word of Jehovah came to the prophet Zech·a·ri'ah son of Ber·e·chi'ah son of Id'do, ... 12 So the angel of Jehovah said: “O Jehovah of armies, how long will you withhold your mercy from Jerusalem and the cities of Judah, with whom you have been indignant these 70 years?"

If the “eighth month in the second year of Darius” is (October/November 520 B.C.E.), the "11th month, that is, the month of She'bat, in the second year of Da·ri'us" is 3 months later in Jan/Feb 519 BCE.

At that point Jehovah had been "indignant these 70 years" with "the cities of Judah." So Jehovah became indignant in around Jan/Feb 589 BCE, just when secular chronology places the start of siege of Jerusalem.

it-1 p. 415 Captivity

"The final capture of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar was completed in 607 B.C.E., after an 18-month siege. (2Ki 25:1-4)."

So if the siege started in Jan/Feb 589 BCE and lasted 18 months, it ended in July/Aug 587.

Note that this places the start of 70 years at the beginning of the siege and ends it when God tells Zechariah : ‘“I will return to Jerusalem with mercy, and my own house will be built in her,” (Zech 1:16).

• zeb
    zeb

Strongly recommend you read,

"The Gentile Times Reconsidered." x Jonson.

Apart from the date type info it gives it is a bright light on how the gb reacts when some one questions a belief.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit