Book on Ebay re: JW and mental illness

by Freedomrules 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Freedomrules
    Freedomrules

Is anyone familiar with this book? I have noticed many wits have problems with depression and bipolar disorder. I have a condition known as panic disorder, which is classified as a mental illness, no one else in my family has this condition. Sometimes I wonder if I would have it if I hadn't been raised as a JW.

• hippikon
    hippikon

What book are you refering?

• Freedomrules
    Freedomrules

It's called Jehovah's Witnesses and the Problem of Mental Illness by Jerry R. Bergman, Ph.D 342 pages, softcover. I think it's a sociology research paper of some sort.

• hippikon
    hippikon

I don't know if he is impartial. In fact if he supports "creation science" (oxymoron) his credibility just sliped a couple of hundred % points in my opinion. Anyone who supports "Six day Creation" must be in cookoo land if you ask me.

Jerry R. Bergman, Ph.D. Evaluation and ResearchHe received a B.S. with major areas of study in Education, Psychology, and Biology, a M.Ed. in Psychology and Counseling, and a Ph.D. in Evaluation and Research with a minor in Psychology from Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan. He also received a M.A. in Social Psychology from Bowling Green State University and a M.S.B.S. in Biomedical Science from the Medical College of Ohio, Toledo. Dr. Bergman has published over 350 papers in secular journals as well as creation science publications.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Jerry posts on this board from time to time under the name JerryBergman. There seems to be some ongoing heated debate about his Ph.D. credentials, but take that up with him and his critics if you want more info; I'm not getting involved in that discussion.

I did read the book a few years ago, and thought that it explained a lot about the way that JW's think and act. I believe it can still be purchased new on amazon.com.

• Freedomrules
    Freedomrules

I'd have to concur with that. Where did you find the site?

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Here is a new response by Dr. Bergman to his detractors:

http://www.freeminds.org/psych/bergmancritique.htm

Randy

Net Soup!

http://www.freeminds.org

• Jerry Bergman
    Jerry Bergman

I don't know if he is impartial.

Are you impartial about creationism? Hardly, given your statement below!

In fact if he supports "creation science" (oxymoron) his credibility just sliped a couple of hundred % points in my opinion. Anyone who supports "Six day Creation" must be in cookoo land if you ask me.

What is Six Day Creation? A hint: It is very different from Creation Science.

What do you think of the following book review?

Dawkins is always an interesting writer and a favorite of creationists because he is so honest about his feelings. He says what other evolutionists only think and, therefore, creationists love to quote him. Unfortunately, this book was a disappointment. It consisted mostly of reprints from other sources, most all which I have read before. Nonetheless, it had a few gems. Read the following quote taken from page 91 of Dawkin's book. Quote:"I tumbled to the fact that I had been duped into granting an interview to Jews - a thing I normally don't do, for good reasons... My generosity was rewarded in a fashion that anyone familiar with Jewish tactics might have predicted." End of quote. He than related how the Jews tricked him and he will never do another interview with Jews again. Darwinists accept Dawkins words as those of a humane, intelligent scientist, yet certainly would take umbrage at the above quote. Why do they not protest what he actually said, which was exactly as quoted above, except the word Jew was subtitled for the word creationist. Those who condemn bigotry in this case support it against another group because it is unfortunately now socially acceptable in certain circles to hate creationists of all stripes, including those of the ID persuasion. Just read the reviews of creation books on this site.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Freedom, when I left the JWs I was given the tape with JB speaking it has the same title of the book, it was excellent and I would highly recommend listening to the tape, that will help you realise that the book is worth getting.. I circulated the tape in exjw circles and it was received with high appraisal from every exjw that heard it. Its got nothing to do with creation but with the surpressive, unproductive lifestyle of a JW.

Brummie

• Jerry Bergman
    Jerry Bergman

Brummie

Thanks for the complement! I have received hundreds of complements from that tape and it was one factor that motivated me to continue to research this topic!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit