REASONING FROM THE SCRIPTURES,page 91

by badboy 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• badboy
    badboy

`On the coins of Constantine the most frequent symbol is XP* ;but this symbol is used without the surrounding circle, and with the 4 equals arms vertical and horizontal;and this was the symbol specially venerated as the`solar Wheel'

The Non-Christian pp 133-141.

* Denotes a close represtention of the actual symbol.

R they actually saying that the symbol which I believe simply represtents the 1st 2 letter of Christ R of pagan origin?

THIS IS SERIOUS,MAN!

• Tyler
    Tyler

You mean this symbol?

• DJ
    DJ

Badboy,

You lost me on this one. Can you help me out? What does XP* have to do with Christ?

• Tyler
    Tyler

It looks like 'X' and 'P' by our Alphabet, but in Greek these are the Greek letters 'Chi' and 'Ro'. the word for 'Christ' looks something like 'XPICTOS' pronounced: 'Christos'. Look it up in the Kingdom Interlinier. Hence XP stands for Christ.

• DJ
    DJ

Ok thanks Tyler. I think this has something to do with the idea that the name Jesus is derived from the Greek mythological name Zeus. The poster Aguest doesn't used the English form, Jesus because of this. I know another person who feels the same way. I, personally don't have a problem with it because if the holy spirit inspired the NT and the apostles wrote the name in Greek XPIESOUS....?? (I forget already..lol) and it means "the Zeus" well then so be it. I know that Jeaus is not Zeus. That's what matters. So his name in Greek and English may have meant something major to those who were actual pagans whose God was Zeus...HA! The apostles must have taught the pagans a thing or two by calling Jesus THE Zeus. See, how that may have worked? God works all thing to His good. Perhaps a lot of pagans turned to Christ because of this.... In essence it is saying that Jesus is THE GOD... Aguest is not a believer that Jesus is God therefore she cannot accept this and the same holds true with my other friend. So be it. I am ok with using the name the way it was given to me because a name is not what is most important but our faith and trust in Him is what matters.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I no longer have a reasoning book but I suspect the topic in discussion is the cross and it's pagan prechristian usage. If so then the quote may simply be saying that the letter x on the coin is a representation of the symbol (the Solar Wheel/cross) without the customary circle drawn around it.

• Tyler
    Tyler

More about this subject here:

http://www.jesus8880.com/chapters/gematria/chi%20rho%20sign.htm

On the issue of Jesus being Zeus, this site explains it best I think.

http://www.jesus8880.com/chapters/gematria/yehoshua.htm

Enjoy!

• DJ
    DJ

Thankyou for the links Tyler, I appreciate that. I 'll read them this week, hopefully! love, dj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit