What do you think of when you see.....

by Bendrr 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Made ya look!!!!

Seriously tho....I came across this little nugget and wanted to get some views. So I swiped Bridget's thread title.

Sure the result was a good thing, drugs and illegal guns off the street and irresponsible folks who didn't buckle up their kids got a ticket. But the operation crossed the line. Police cannot search your vehicle without your consent. (now someone correct me if I'm wrong there). During a traffic stop, the officer will ask your permission to search your vehicle. And they have to stop you for a violation first, they can't simply pick your car out and stop you to search it.

What happened in this case was searches without permission or warrants, without probable cause, and IMO under false pretenses.

I'm interested in knowing what the rest of you think of this.

Mike, who'd rather you didn't look in the trunk!

• riz
    riz

That is just McWrong.

What I wanna know is: Did the officer have a valid Food Handler's Card? Citizen's arrest!!

• Bendrr
    Bendrr
    That is just McWrong.

And then you said "citizen's arrest" which got me laughing. Anytime someone says that the only thing I can think of is that episode of Andy Griffith where Gomer was yelling "Citizen's arrest! Citizen's arrest!".

This story is ripe with potential bad McPuns and McJokes. Good catch, Riz.

Undercover cop: "Would you like to supersize those fries?"

Customer: <takes long toke> "oh yeah man, I got the munchies! <cough, snicker> want some?"

Mike.

• Huxley
    Huxley

"Yes, I'll have the #3 combo....extra catsup, and uh....hold the hippie lettuce."

Huxley

• Redneck
    Redneck

Hey if ya stupid enough to have it out where anyone can see it looking in ya car...Ya get what ya deserve...I dont see whats so wrong bout it myself..If your law abiding citizen,what ya have to worry bout?....

• Bendrr
    Bendrr
    Hey if ya stupid enough to have it out where anyone can see it looking in ya car...Ya get what ya deserve...I dont see whats so wrong bout it myself..If your law abiding citizen,what ya have to worry bout?....

Nothing except the practice itself Redneck. I myself have had cops ask to look through my vehicle during a traffic stop. Of course I let them because the only law broken was a simple traffic law, there was nothing in the car for them to find. And when it comes to traffic stops, I completely support the practice of searching vehicles and scrutinizing the subjects. But the trend seems to be that cops are looking for more and more opportunities to stop and search vehicles. Just how far are we going to be comfortable with police searching our vehicles? Mike.

• Redneck
    Redneck

What practice is that Bendrr?...If ya break the law ya break the law...I mean I thought that was pretty swift myself..I had one of them jobs in HS and ya do see that stuff going on in a drive thru and theres nothing ya can do bout it..Alot of times they were showing off and even offered it to u ..I mean comon they do that because they know there going to get away with it..They shouldnt have to be warned careful 5 -O is working drive thru man...They knew they were breaking the law ....It's not like they were stoping innocent people...

Sorry I just dont see the problem with it..

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

You've got a valid point, Redneck. And I didn't forget that it was complaints from that McD's employees that brought the police in in the first place. In my line of work I see what's in my customers' vehicles as well. Yes I have called the police before to report someone who came into my shop who was drinking. He had an open 12-pack in his truck, smelled like a brewery, and I could tell he had a buzz going on.

The problem I have with the story is not the results, definitely not the good results. The problem I have with it is that the police simply came in and started looking for themselves, posing as employees at the drive-thru. What could they have done instead? That's a good question. I'm no cop and no lawyer so I can't give an expert answer. I can say though that the cops could have responded differently. Roadblocks in the area of the drivethru. Employees could have been asked to collect vehicle descriptions and license plate numbers. That's what I did when I called the cops, I got the guy's tag and vehicle description. And they could have gotten permission from the McD franchise's owner first.

I think what the employees did was great and a credit to "burger-flippers". Too many times we all go into a McD's or whatever and think we're dealing with the most apathetic people on the face of the earth. At least they cared, right? But go back to what I said in my initial post. Cops can't search your car without your permission. Now maybe a cop posing as an employee in a drivethru in order to look in your car is a gray area for the courts to decide, but it just doesn't sound kosher to me.

I'm like you, I don't care if a cop looks into my car. I'm not doing anything illegal. But I'd at least like to know when that cop is doing the looking.

Mike.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Jezuz... sounds like old KBG talk, "Come comrade, we want to have a few words with you. Don't worry. Why are you worried? If you've done nothign wrong then is nothing to worry about!"

when did Amerika officially become a police state.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit