ANCIENT GREEK MYTHOLOGY

by d0rkyd00d 5 Replies latest jw friends

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

I personally love greek and roman mythology. it is extremely interesting to find what they believed. however, how could people in today's world be so uninformed and stupid. Long before the idea of hell was created, by whom i don't know, the greeks believed in "hades". or maybe that's the roman word (?). so, in fact, hades was a pagan concept dreamt up by the greeks or romans, one of the two.

Another post on this board got me thinking. it was asking about the origin of things in the bible. such as baptisms. what were their origin? i believe the last thing i read, the person who posted it found it had ancient indian origin, and was actually quite pagan. which to me raises some good questions. first off, how much of the bible actually was influenced by greek mythology and beliefs of the time? secondly, how many of the things that we believe in today had their roots in silly traditions originating in ancient times? i'm excited to read the responses.

"No cool quote yet. but i'll think of one soon."

• patio34
    patio34

Dorkydood,

That has been one of the fields of reading I've been doing since leaving 2 months ago. It's amazing what all in the bible comes from mythology of one sort or the other. Say, 95% of the Bible?

For instance, the Sumerians, who had the first writing way before the Hebrews, had myths about a serpent, a paradise, a flood, a king (Sargon 1) who was put into a river in a basket as a babe and rescued, etc.

As far as baptisms and demons (which aren't really mentioned much in the OT and are ubiquitous in the NT), they seem to come from the mystery religions popular in the time, such as the Mithraists.

There is plenty to read on the subject. On the forum of Bible Research are a couple of threads you'd like: one by ISP on the Jesus puzzle (and a website with tons of info) and one by me about Jesus born of a virgin?

Also, do a search on the web on Jesus mysteries or Mithraists, etc. There is a wealth of information.

Mithra, the Roman and Persian god, was called a saviour, a mediator, the lamb of god, and more similarities to Jesus. Paul was from Tarsus (a big center of Mithra worship) and there can be found many sayings in his writings that are in Mithraism. It was a mens-only religion and Roman soldiers were in that religion. Paul's allusions to soldiers, complete suit of armor, warfare have been commented on that it fits Mithraism more than Christianity.

One point I want to look into is his statement of being caught away to the 7th heaven. That also seems to reflect the Mithraism or popular beliefs of the day, and certainly not the bible OT.

I could go on an on. It's so fascinating. Oh! Another thread with good references is 'baptisms'--you'll have to do a search as it was about 2 months ago. Also, demons.

Good reading!

Patio

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

DD and Patio:

recently i subscribed to a TimeLife series titled
    Myth and Mankind
    i receive a copy of a collection of myths from various cultures every few weeks,
    i thought id share this with you guys since you are interested in mythology,

chuck

• paulvarjak
    paulvarjak

Another good reference and great read is <i>Who Wrote the Bible</i> (sorry, I don't have the authors name with me right now). It explores the political, mythological, religious and social situation of ancient Israel and how these factors shaped the books supposedly written by Moses. An excellent read.

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

I've found a wealth of information about the origins of many customs and beliefs in The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets by Barbara J. Walker.

Below are a few paragraphs under the heading "Jesus Christ."

Ginny

The details [of Jesus' life story] were accumulated through later adoption of the myths attached to every savior-god throughout the Roman empire. Like Adonis, Jesus was born of a consecrated temple maiden in the sacred cave of Bethlehem, "The House of Bread." He was eaten in the form of bread, as were Adonis, Osiris, Dionysus, and others; he called himself the bread of God (John 6:33). Like worshippers of Osiris, those of Jesus made him part of themselves by eating him, so as to participate in his resurrection: "He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him" (John 6:56).

Like Attis, Jesus was sacrificed at the spring equinox and rose again from the dead on the third day, when he became God and ascended to heaven. Like Orpheus and Heracles, he "harrowed hell" and brought a secret of eternal life, promising to draw all men with him up to glory (John 12:32). Like Mithra and all the other solar gods, he celebrated a birthday nine months later at the winter solstice, because the day of his death was also the day of his cyclic re-conception. See Attis.

From the elder gods, Jesus acquired not only his title of Christos but all his other titles as well. Osiris and Tammuz were called Good Shepherd. Sarapis was Lord of Death and King of Glory. Mithra and Heracles were Light of the World, Sun of Righteousness, Helios the Rising Sun. Dionysus was King of Kings, God of Gods. Hermes was the Englightened One and the Logos. Vishnu and Mithra were Son of Man and Messiah. Adonis was the Lord and the Bridegroom. Mot-Aleyin was the Lamb of God. "Savior" (Soter) was applied to all of them.

• Ginger
    Ginger

d0rkyd00d,

You are my Adonis. That's no myth.

Ginger

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit