Tell me what you think

by Ft2188 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• Ft2188
    Ft2188

I left 5 years ago and even though I've had therapy and have been medicated somehow, something from the last creeps up on me. I started writing a book, mostly for my own healing. I wrote a letter to my parents of everything I had wanted to say but knew I wouldn't get a chance to. I started going to local ex-JW meetup groups and after having everyone share their stories I'd ask if they would like to write a letter for my book as well. I can't describe how healing it's been. To hear others struggles and triumphs. My question is, would it be considered inappropriate to ask forums like this for willing participants to send me their letters? I would keep everything anonymous if requested. Thanks for your input!

[email protected]

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Sure, what kind of content are you looking for? Am I right in understanding you want hypothetical letters that haven't really been sent to relatives, but express our true feelings?

• steve2
    steve2

There's a lovely expression, "Letters written - never sent".

It speaks to the therapeutic value in pouring our hearts out in writing as if speaking to the very people who have, in some way, hurt us. The intention is not to send them - because it could in some circumstances deepen the hurt - especially if they reject the letters unread, for example.

So many people find letter writing deeply therapeutic.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

OK I'm on it.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    would it be considered inappropriate to ask forums like this for willing participants to send me their letters? I would keep everything anonymous if requested. Thanks for your input!

Thanks for sharing. I thnk your idea is great to share with people who know and understand where the writers come from. The forum admins can tell you about how appropriate it is, but I think that's a great idea.

With me, the thing is that I actually wrote my letters about 20 years ago (I uses Lotus AmiPro word processing program!). Your idea is making me want to revisit my life at that time. Makes me take a look at my way of thinking back then.

I may share them. Thanks.

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

I like that idea. I wanted to write to my mum too but haven't because things are kind of going back to normal. I am learning to listen to the "witnessing" and biting my tongue and if I wrote and told her all I have learned I am sure that I would never see her again DFd or not.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Hi Ft2188:

Just to let you know, I sent you my letter as a PM, not to the email address. You are a new member with one post after all and I can't reveal my identity, so sending you an email from my email address could risk that. No offense, and thank you for this effort.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit