A strange letter from Step-Monster

by little witch 6 Replies latest jw friends

• little witch
    little witch

So my father passed away in October, he was not a Dub. Far from it. Anyways, SM writes a letter after two years of silence, full of JW lingo,

and IMHO, riddled with guilt. She is married to an elder now, and very involved in THE LIE. The last line goes, ''I am happy now, as happy as I can be in this SYSTEM OF THINGS''!

She basically states that Dad asked for it, (death) and she ''tried to help him''.

I haven't written her back, and do not intend to. Anyway, it was apparent that she is miserable.... I feel sorry for her, but still angry also.....

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I don't mean to pry, but why are you angry? Do you feel she was responsible in some for your father's death?

I'm sure she did try to "help him" with the Witness mumbo jumbo. No doubt she tells herself that would have saved his life, or at least allowed his resurrection.

I don't know if this is why you are angry, but I know I would be based on her dropping that little missive in my life after two years. I would be tempted to respond, but I sometimes am not the brightest bulb in the batch.

Thanks for sharing.

• Scully
    Scully

Her statement to the effect that your Dad "asked for it (death)" is a far cry from the mercy that the Bible speaks to with regard to "a resurrection for the righteous and the unrighteous". Also the concept that "the wages that sin pays is death" - in other words, once you've died, you've paid your debt to society and start over with a clean slate in the resurrection.

Funny how they overlook that, isn't it?

Anyway, it sounds as though she's miserable. Why else would she need to point out to you how "happy.... as happy as is possible in this old system" she is, unless she is really trying to convince herself??

Good for you for not replying. A letter like that doesn't deserve one.

Love, Scully

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

The "this system of things" disclaimer always annoys me. I'm not a JW, but my husband is. Whenever his JW parents call him, he acts as if he is always ASHAMED of being happy. He could be having the time of his life, things going great at work, etc., and when they ask him how he is doing he always replies with the "... oh, things are okay...taking one day at a time...as good as can be expected...THIS SYSTEM OF THINGS." It's sad, really. They don't even want him to be happy until everyone else is destroyed!

• little witch
    little witch

Thanks Scully.

You are so right...

Tex, I thank you for making me realize what she meant by , ''I tried to help him''. I think you are right on that, and I was thinking she meant something else.

At any rate, they were cold words, and of no comfort to me. A simple, ''I am sorry for your loss'' would have been sufficient. I guess it was the lack of any concern for me, that made me angry. And the fact that the letter seemed to want me to confirm her ''happiness'' since she and my father divorced. It sounded alot like my Father was the sole reason for her misery, and that is simply not the case. Her involvment with the dubs has been the main problem!

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

It's funny how people who are supposed to be the happiest people on Earth and the only ones to have "True Happiness" (TM) have to keep reminding themselves of it over and over again.

Expatbrit

• rocketman
    rocketman
    The "this system of things" disclaimer always annoys me. I'm not a JW, but my husband is. Whenever his JW parents call him, he acts as if he is always ASHAMED of being happy. He could be having the time of his life, things going great at work, etc., and when they ask him how he is doing he always replies with the "... oh, things are okay...taking one day at a time...as good as can be expected...THIS SYSTEM OF THINGS."

Very true worldly girl - there's always that qualifying statement. And as expat mentioned, they seem to have to keep reminding themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit