Donald Duck and Jehovah

by openminded 5 Replies latest jw friends

• openminded
    openminded

All of us grew up watching and enjoying the antics of Donald Duck. Laughing as he slowly but surely lost control of a situation, and then finally, in an impotent rage, threw a temper tantrum. Sometimes, it was his nephews Huey, Dooey, and Looey who drove poor Donald to the brink and beyond. We can all relate to Donald because often we too are faced with a situation that is beyond our control no matter what we do. After all, we are finite beings. However, when Donald Duck finally comes to the end of his rope and throws a destructive temper tantrum, he is displaying three important traits:

1) His impotence in the face of great difficulty.

2) His utter lack of self-control.

3) That he can be manipulated by others and by circumstance.

When Huey, Dooey, and Looey continue to disobey Donald despite all his warnings, all he can really do in the end is throw a fit and destroy things in his impotent rage. In this, Huey, Dooey, and Looey demonstrate their control over their Uncle Donald. They can push his buttons until he can no longer respond to the situation in a rational or constructive manner, and his mindless rage takes over. Donald has been successfully manipulated and shown to be impotent. For one is truly impotent when one can no longer respond to a situation in a constructive manner or maintain composure and self-control, and can only rage and destroy. As humans, we can relate to this. It reminds us of our own finiteness, and our own foibles.

However, when we read about this same behavior being displayed by the supposedly omnipotent and omniscient god Jehovah in the pages of the Bible, it should give us instant pause for thoughtful analysis of Jehovah. Jehovah is pushed by humans, over and over again, beyond his ability to respond to a situation in a constructive, rational, or self-controlled manner.

Just as Donald Duck throws impotent destructive rages because he can no longer respond constructively or rationally, so does Jehovah. In the pages of the Bible, humans disobey this supposedly omniscient and omni-competent god over and over, until he finally throws a destructive temper tantrum. He kills everyone on earth with a flood, sparing only a handful. He sends plagues upon Egypt because the Pharaoh of Egypt won't obey him. Jehovah kills all the firstborn sons of the Egyptians. In his impotent wrath, Jehovah again and again destroys vast multitudes of the Israelites because he can no longer find a way (Despite his supposedly omniscient, omnipotent, and omni-competent nature) to respond in a meaningful, constructive, self-controlled manner to their disobedience. Impotent, destructive rage is always the Final Solution that Jehovah is pushed into.

We can laugh at Donald Duck's behavior because we see our human finiteness and foibles portrayed onscreen. Yet, when we find such behavior attributed to a supposedly omniscient, omnipotent, and omni-competent Jehovah we should be horrified and repulsed. Why? The real God is infinitely beyond us in intelligence, power, and wisdom. That God is not subject to our human finiteness and foibles, being superior to us, not inferior as Jehovah is. The True God is always able to find a meaningful, constructive way to respond to any situation. The True God could never be manipulated and controlled by finite creatures as Jehovah is. "Huey, Dooey, and Looey" (the human race) would never be able to exhaust the True God's mental and emotional resources and push it over the brink into impotent destructive rage.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Was that "food for thought"? Not many calories in that synthetic world.

• shamus
    shamus

LOL!

You make a good point there, but I have to think about it for a bit..... God did try to help mankind, but they seemed not to listen. Too much to think about right now with my befuddled mind.

My nephews favorite book is huey, louie and dewey book. It was one of the first ones put out, and is very expensive... (I have one!) For some reason he loves the book so much.

What am I talking about? I don't know.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hey OM,

Jehovah's gonna get you for writing this about him!

Your line of thinking, that Jehovah is demanding obedience and fear and love and everything else that he demands, or else we're gonna get it, seems quite "on target".

OTOH, the Bible does claim that Jehovah is merciful, slow to anger, etc. I guess by that line of reasoning we all deserve to die right now. We're not doing enough for him, and we never can.

This is supported even in the Greek Scriptures (new testament), where Jesus informs us that the road to salvation is narrow, and where Revelation tells us that the blood from those who are destroyed by God's armies is really deep and miles long. And also we are informed that God is a consuming fire, and it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of a living God.

So apparently Jehovah has a small circle (clique) of friends, the rest of us need not apply for his favor.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Very good. Very open minded of you openminded. Perhaps you should think about keeping your name. However, I really think you owe Donald Duck an apology here; mixing him with such company. Jehovah the god of armies, is the most vile and repugnant anthropomorphic deity man has ever created. How many wars have been waged in the name Donald Duck? or Satan for that matter?

• Francois
    Francois

Yes, JT Jehovah is indeed evil, wicked, mean, bad, and nasty. I do wonder however if he's any worse than Allah - an anthromorphic god dreamed up by a warrior. Perhaps they are on par.

What's amazing to me is that someone, somewhere hasn't led "christians" out from Jehovah's shadow? Well, I guess Jesus gave that a try, but we seem most inclinded to kill those sent to us to upgrade our concept of the existential God, the Universal Father of all.

What's the cure?

francois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit