Reposting old posts as new

by steve2 9 Replies latest forum tech-support

• steve2
    steve2

I cannot find the Report feature on the forum or has it been removed?

In the past week or so poster Jehovah lol appears to have re-posted as new his topic on JW talk. I have checked and the posts are identical - perhaps not a big deal, but it's a little like internal spam. Is this an issue that needs to be sorted or is it okay to repost as a new topic old posts?

• sir82
    sir82

I think it happens when an inexperienced user doesn't see his post appear within 4 milliseconds of hitting "Submit", so he mashes the "Submit" button 20 or 30 times thinking that will fix the issue.

Each of those 20 or 30 mashes will eventually get posted...once every X hours, when the "limit of X new posts per day" resets.

So it looks like he is posting the same topic 20 or 30 times, but his intention was to post it just once.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yes, sir82, guilty, as charged. I am a masher. Thanks for the 'splanation.

I am so embarrassed!

• steve2
    steve2

Oh, I hadn't realized - so likely no intent behind it. Thanks guys!

• sir82
    sir82

I understand the inclination to mash!

When I make a phone call to customer service, and get one of those infernal robots ("I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that" ) I end up mashing the "0" key 10 or 20 or 30 times until the software figures out I want to speak to a, you know, actual human.

• darkspilver
  • darkspilver
    darkspilver

sir82 - I don't think The Searcher was an 'inexperienced' user with 3,800 posts over 6 years, yet:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5700877652328448/_post/5090464988397568

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yeah, it happens to the best of us.

• Simon
    Simon

It wasn't the first time this user had done it, and they weren't just pressing refresh - they were re-posting it and making changes each time. That isn't just an accident.

The limits are there to protect against spam and also prevent individual posters taking over and having more of a voice than others, just because they have more time (and there are plenty that would be happy to take advantage to endlessly "preach" about religion or politics).

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks Simon - I wasn’t convinced it was just accidental re-send.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit