What are you doing for the Victoria Day / Memorial Day Weekend ?

by xjw_b12 3 Replies latest jw friends

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

We Canadians get a jump on the first long weekend of the season, over our American neighbours, who have to wait another week before the Memorial Day weekend ( see there it is again, that term "American").

I was curious as to who has made plans for the Victoria Day long weekend, and what you are doing ?

CJ and I are hitching up the trailer, and going to one our favourite camping spots, on the pennisula of Lake Superior, known as Sleeping Giant Provincial Park.

It will be the first of many camping trips this year, and we are sooo looking forward to it.

We are going out with 2 other couples ( friends we made after we left the borg ) and looking forward to some hiking, mountain biking, grilling meals on the barbecue, wine and beer, and a big roaring fire afterwards. Sometimes at this time of year, you can still see a display of the Northern Lights.which is a way better fireworks display, than anything we could do IMHO.

Hopefully the bears will leave us alone this year ! LOL

So what are the rest of you doing, for either the Victoria Day weekend or the Memorial Day weekend.

P.S. Take pictures and we can start a Picture thread when we all get back.

P.P.S. Do the Brits (what the hell is Spring Bank Holiday ? ) and Aussies, or other Commonwealth countries celebrate Queen Victoria's Birthday ?

• obiwan
    obiwan

I plan on drinking lots of beer and stuffing myself with lots of burgers!

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

We will be doing this on Memorial Day!!! The gurls "Cassandra Cain" and "Vash_The_Stampede_13" are very excited about it!

We are combing second hand stores for lambs this week!

Hope as many as possible do this! I'd love to show up at a Hall and see a few lambs already there!!

silentlambs - It's time to protect children. It's time to stop being a silent lamb.

http://silentlambs.org/assistance/ONeThousandlambs.cfm

Lambs To Protect Kids Worldwide

Special program to raise child abuse awareness scheduled for:

Spanish Translation

Memorial Day May 26th .

On a day that many remember those that were lost due to war the following is an effort to remember the innocence lost due to child abuse. Ten programs have aired around the world on child abuse and Jehovah’s Witnesses key people within the movement have stated this matter has blown over and died down. This campaign is a way to remind Jehovah’s Witnesses around the world this issue is not going to go away until Watchtower Policy is changed to better protect children.

Do your part for the silent lambs and help raise child protection awareness with Jehovah’s Witnesses in your area. The attachment below is a simple one page announcement that suggests the proper reporting of child abuse allegations. The “bulletin” is designed to be posted on the information board with contact information for silentlambs in the event a problem arises regarding abuse allegations in the congregation. Click Here to review in MSWORD format and print out. Click Here to review in PDF format and print out.

Next find a stuffed lamb to deliver with each bulletin. You can often go to “good will” stores and find second hand stuffed lambs for a very inexpensive price the more battered or abused the better. Isn’t that the point? A gift of a stuffed toy is hard to turn down and is less confrontational to the recipient. The stuffed lamb also makes it easier to hold the bulletin in the door and draws attention to it. In the event you cannot find stuffed lambs we have a picture in MSWORD format you can use instead to review and down load Click Here

The procedure is simple just take the poster to your copy shop and make as many copies as you may need. Then look in your local phone book under “Jehovah’s Witnesses” and take note of the Kingdom Halls in your area. Make up a list and use a city map to find the most efficient route to each Kingdom Hall. Plan your arrival in the morning between 10:00 am to 11:30 am . If in the afternoon plan your visit between 1:45 pm to 5:00 pm . Often there may be cars in the parking lot, but generally this indicates members are out in door to door work during the times cited above.

What should you do if someone is there? Simply smile look them in the eye and be friendly. If it is a man offer a greeting and shake hands. Then you might say something along the lines:

My name is ____ and I wish to offer a gift to your congregation to highlight the importance of protecting our children. Don’t you think that is important?

(At this point hand them a stuffed lamb and the bulletin folded, don’t hang around and give them time to hand it back)

Then conclude with:

Thank you for talking with me, I have several more visits to make, have a nice day.

Remember to be kind as most often the person you are talking with does not know or is not allowed to educate themselves about this issue. Avoid confrontational comments that might put them on the defensive. You have a simple message, it is positive, it can protect children. When they read the bulletin they will get the message and will have an opportunity to educate them selves further.

If you would like to create a press opportunity we are developing a press release to be added soon that you can pass on to local media.

After delivery post your results on the silentlambs guestbook! Report the number of Kingdom Halls visited and what their names were. You can look on the meeting time sign for that information. If you have a digital camera take a picture of each Kingdom Hall you call at and we will put that up on a special page along with a report of the total number of Kingdom Halls that had lambs delivered and where they were located. Let’s see if we can deliver one thousand lambs to Kingdom Halls around the world and make a positive statement and reminder for protecting children.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Nothing incredibly huge this weekend. There's a Karaoke contest at a local legion that I plan on winning (or at least trying to). I should make a phone call demanding me and my fiance's rings. I have a visa bill to pay. Me and my fiance will indulge ourselves in premarital sex. Got a barbeque to attend on Saturday. Oh yeah, and I'm gonna sleep in!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit