Norway: Hospitals Refuse To Accept JW Blood Card

by darkspilver 9 Replies latest watchtower medical

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Been sent this - could be an interesting story - seems totally unrelated to recent events in Canada, but see under the sub-heading 'Debate after birth' - translation is via google, which is unfortunately not very good :(

From the Thursday 8 December 2016 print editon of Agderposten newspaper - a Norwegian daily newspaper with a circulation of just under 20,000 (so admittedly a relatively small regionally based circulation newspaper)

Splashed over the front page with a double page spread over pages 6 and 7

Sier nei til blodbevis

Jehovas vitner har laget et blodkort for overføring i en akuttsituasjon. Sørlandet sykehus nekter å akseptere kortene – noe trossamfunnet reagerer sterkt på.

Godtar ikke Jehovas vitners blodbevis

Jehovas vitner har et kort i lommeboka som slår fast at de nekter å motta blodoverføring. Men Sørlandet sykehus aksepterer ikke disse kortene.

http://www.agderposten.no/kjop-tilgang?aId=1.1603531

Says no to blood evidence

Witnesses have made a blood card for transmission in an emergency. Southern hospitals refuse to accept cards - something religious community reacted strongly.

Does not accept Jehovah's Witnesses blood evidence

Witnesses have a card in your wallet stating that they refuse to receive blood transfusion. But Southern hospitals do not accept these cards.

FRONT PAGE

Says no to blood evidence

Witnesses have made a blood card for transmission in an emergency. Southern hospitals refuse to accept cards - something religious community reacted strongly.

PAGES 6 and 7

Does not accept Jehovah's Witnesses blood evidence

Witnesses have a card in your wallet stating that they refuse to receive blood transfusion. But Southern hospitals do not accept these cards.

- We do not accept forhåndserklaeringer. The patient must be competent to give consent in that particular moment to refuse blood transfusion, says Per Engstrand, Director at Southern hospitals.

Faith Society Jehovah's Witnesses believe the Bible forbids transfusions. The members usually have a declaration in your wallet that makes it clear that under no circumstances must be given blood. The so-called blood card signed by two witnesses.

Provides blood

To refuse to accept blood transfusion at Southern hospitals must surgery be scheduled. That in emergency situations where health professionals have not been able to talk with the patient beforehand, it will be given blood if it is needed.

- Refuse is part of a mutual agreement, and not made unilaterally. The patient should be fully aware if the requirement of blood refusal should be respected. The patient must be competent to give consent, and can be neither unconscious, obscure, demented or have head injury. This is common practice in Norwegian hospitals, says Engstrand.

Expect acceptance

Bjarne Hermansen (70) from Grimstad's Witness. He reacted strongly to the hospital does not accept forhåndserklaeringer and thus can give blood transfusion after acute events such as road accidents.

- Blood card tells our position when we are unable to tell it yourself. Patients' Rights Act gives patients the right to decide over their own lives. The law states that the patient's desire to be respected, says Hermansen, who is coordinator of the congregation Kingdom Hall in Grimstad.

He carries with him a forhåndserklaering in your wallet, and the registration document folder in the car.

- The card can be used worldwide. I have no medical education and adds me not up in the doctor reviews. But I expect that standpoint I have taken on religious grounds, are respected, says Hermansen, who is coordinator of the church in Grimstad.

Witnesses do not accept blood transfusions, but seek medical attention in case of illness.

- We are deleted no martyrs but are happy in life and want our children to survive. We are willing to accept any treatment without blood transfusions, says Hermansen.

Broke his neck

Grimstad man has even had to use blood his card, after a neck fracture in 2001.

- Kona sent a copy of the statement to the doctor as a precaution. I know many who have lost a lot of blood, and which do well without getting blood transfusion, says Hermansen.

He refers to a worldwide register of so-called "bloodless" hospital. He believes that many operations in Norway would have been implemented without the use of blood transfusion - and thrown in with better results.

- I recently visited a ward member who lost a lot of blood in conjunction with a hip operation. She objected to blood transfusion, and fared well. There are alternatives. Some are sent to Oslo to receive treatment, and there is a serious and challenging dilemma when one is in the midst of the situation. I hope that our opinion be respected, even when we've been out for acute accidents, says Hermansen.

He is happy that the hospital warehouse procedures with intent to attend Jehovah's Witnesses want.

Debate after birth

The reason for the new policy by Sørlandets hospitals, a doctor at the Southern hospitals was criticized by the patient ombudsman for giving a blood transfusion to a Jehovah's Witness during childbirth in 2010, against her will. It created a fierce debate.

Following this incident, Southern hospitals worked extensively with the theme Witnesses and blood transfusions. The new guidelines were approved in May this year.

In Patients' Rights Act is a clause that gives Jehovah's Witnesses the right to refuse to receive blood or blood products because of serious convictions.

The same clause requires that in order to fulfill this wish, healthcare providers need to be able Front Cover

Kre themselves that this is a self-chosen, well-considered and lasting conviction. It is difficult in an emergency.

"Patients must understand the consequences of refusal will get. Patients should receive adequate information about diagnosis and treatment, and the consequences refusal of blood transfusion can get. The patient must be competent to give consent, "says the policies of Southern hospitals.

The patient must sign on the hospital form. The patient must be over 18 years.

Situations annually

When the issue of blood transfusion becomes applicable, shall treating physician ask the patient about the refusal still stands firm. In operation under general anesthesia, the patient should be asked whether this immediately before surgery.

The clinical ethics committee at Southern hospitals have been involved in preparing the document. Here include psychologists, doctors, nurses, art technician and lawyer represented.

- We are satisfied with the guidelines, said Engstrand.

- How often arise situations where Jehovah's Witnesses contradict themselves blood transfusion at Southern Hospitality?

- I do not have the exact number, but we have these situations every year. We are familiar with the problem, and therefore has worked extensively with the guidelines here in the south, said Engstrand.

FACTS (BOX)

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

- The movement has about 15,000 members in Norway distributed in 170 congregations.

- Jehovah's Witnesses do not accept blood transfusions, but seek medical attention in case of illness. They refuse to perform militaertjeneste and does not participate in political life.

Main Picture: NOT ACCEPT "BLOOD CARD": Southern hospitals do not accept Witnesses forhandserklaeringer to refuse a blood transfusion, but give blood if needed. The picture shows the correct Sal Grimstad

Small Picture: TEAM GUIDELINES: Technical director Per Engstrand

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I like their approach, if the patient is able to speak with the doctors then procedures can be discussed as well as health warnings. But if the patient is out cold and can't speak to the healthcare providers they will give blood if they think it's needed and ignore the blood card. This protects them from liability and who knows maybe the patient really would except blood in a life and death situation.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Will those hospitals likewise ignore the warnings given by others via medical alert bracelets etc. if they are unconscious when admitted to hospital? https://www.medicalert.org.uk/

I sense a legal challenge on this one.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    TheSearcher: Will those hospitals likewise ignore the warnings given by others via medical alert bracelets etc. if they are unconscious when admitted to hospital?

What are the medical alert bracelets alerting for? Do those bracelets not tell medical professionals what treatment they need to follow in order to save the patient's life?

The noblood card is entirely different. A noblood order is not about saving a person's life - it is a directive to not give life saving care.

And that is where I think the comparison fails. So many people have become used to treating the JWs as though they have a special medical condition and they don't. Their condition has been created through a combination of religious superstition and bad science.

They don't have a medical condition. They have a religious problem.

What I took away from the article is that the medical doctors in Norway recognize that a person will often change their mind when they are faced with the reality of their religious choice demanding they give up the most precious thing that "God" has given them - their life itself. And they state that it happens often that a person will change their mind. That is why they want to be able to transfuse someone who is not conscious.

It makes perfect sense to me. I think of all the JWs (and others) who have said "there are no atheists in the trenches". Likewise, "there are no martyrs in the face of death". Or, at least...there are many who give up their martyr stand when they are given free choice.

I am all in favor of patients having the right to refuse any medical treatment they want - if they are in sound mind and have all the information they need to make their decision. And, that decision does not need to be based on a religious notion. Being unconscious does not mean somebody is of sound mind. They can't be - they are unconscious. The idea of a sound mind is one that should be challenged in the case of JWs.

For example, if somebody presents themselves to a doctor for treatment of a broken leg but then refuses to let the doctor put a cast on it because the patient believes that a cast will give them cancer or leprosy, would the doctor consider that patient in their right mind?

The Norwegian doctors, from reading the article, also will continue to give the patient the option of receiving blood even right up to the point of beginning a surgical procedure. They give the patient every opportunity to make a free choice and it seems that they will still continue to honor the patient's wishes...if they are conscious. It is only in cases where the patient is unconscious that it will be up to the doctors discretion to employ life saving blood transfusions.

I think it is a good stand to take. It would have made a difference for Eloise Dupuis. She was in a coma for six days before the lack of blood allowed an infection to take her life. If she had been in Norway, the doctors would have been able to save her life and she could have went home to that beautiful baby she birthed.

The JWs' rejection of blood is not a medical condition. They have a mental condition - their mind has been conditioned by religious superstition to reject life.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Pretty sure more and more medical staff are realizing that many individual JWs' "official" stance on transfusions (based on WT edicts) don't necessarily reflect their private (but far more genuine) feelings on the matter.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Some much-needed common sense from Soerlandet hospitals.

Hopefully this will become standard hospital procedure from Trondheim to Kristiansand, from Bergen to Oslo.

Good on you, Norway!

• baker
    baker

I now consider a blood transfusion as an organ transplant and not consuming the blood, since the blood continues to circulate thru the body and does not pass out of the body like waste does. The WT reasoning falls apart with this organ transplant notion.

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

This is the response AJWRB has been encouraging for almost twenty years. Good to see it is finally getting some traction. Many JW's ultimately accept blood in emergency situations voluntarily. This kind of policy is really the only way to address the Watchtower's coercive policy in these situations imo.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ baker...

Same... a tissue transplant.

• Watchtower-Free

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit