Does Jehovah Intervene - JW Teaching

by thedepressedsoul 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

I have been a JW my whole life and I have never been able to get a clear answer on this question.

Jw's do not believe that Jehovah will intervene if someone is sick, dying or stopping a car crash. They feel that Jehovah is letting "this world" play out before he solves all of these problems. For example, if Brother Faithful has cancer he is not to pray for Jehovah to heal him. Rather, Brother Faithful is to pray for strength to endure his challenge. Seems rather convenient right? Of course he's going to have to endure no matter what until the cancer kills him.

However, on the other hand you have brothers giving experiences at conventions, Kingdom Hall, Assemblies and Year Books about needing X amount of money to continue pioneering and Jehovah gave them exactly the amount they needed by a random donation. How Jehovah must have provided exactly what they needed!

Brother Faithful wants a new chair for his bible study room but can't afford one since he is pioneering. On his drive home from service he sees a great chair that someone is throwing out. How Jehovah must have provided that chair for him!

You guys get the point. So which is it? Jehovah won't provide for someone dying of a sickness or stop a car crash yet he will give Brother Pioneer $20 to make his bills or give him the new chair he didn't really need for his office?

I have yet to get a straight answer on this question. Does anyone have any insight?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

If Jehovah didn't intervene to help you, it's because he's allowing things in this system to play out. If something good does happen to you, though, it's because of Jehovah.

In short, anything good that happens to you is because of your involvement in the cult, and if anything bad happens it's either Satan's system testing you or because you're not having enough involvement in the cult.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I pioneered for 10 years, my husband for 15. When we left we were in debt because when we were short of money we had to use a credit card. We lived in near poverty watching every penny. Jehovah does not provide for pioneers I assure you, it's a myth. Don't believe those convention stories.

There were people who were kind to us and gave us meals. Some people gave us a meal every week. The credit should go to those good people, not to a god.

These stories are just designed to get more people working for them instead of going to college where they would become far too clever to take that nonsense any more.

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul
    If Jehovah didn't intervene to help you, it's because he's allowing things in this system to play out. If something gooddoes happen to you, though, it's because of Jehovah.
    In short, anything good that happens to you is because of your involvement in the cult, and if anything bad happens it's either Satan's system testing you or because you're not having enough involvement in the cult.

I see what you are saying but it still doesn't explain why they say Jehovah intervenes for some things and yet when it comes to sickness/accidents that he stays completely out of it.

• Giordano
    Giordano

That's just part of the delusion that you actually have a relationship with the god of your choice. Catholics have added to that concept by having Saints Aplenty who were skilled in a variety of trades and professions. So if your a cobbler or a fisherman you can pray to an entity that understands your work related problem.............unfortunately what happens to those heavenly Saints now that certain trades have ended?

Maybe they get retrained in heaven or just laid off?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

You guys get the point. So which is it? Jehovah won't provide for someone dying of a sickness or stop a car crash yet he will give Brother Pioneer $20 to make his bills or give him the new chair he didn't really need for his office?

He only tackles the easy stuff. A little cash here and there, a used chair, fix a leak in a roof, etc

Illness, death, disease -- that has to play out to prove Satan is a liar.

WTF?

Doc

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I see what you are saying but it still doesn't explain why they say Jehovah intervenes for some things and yet when it comes to sickness/accidents that he stays completely out of it.

My point was that this is a contradiction that comes forth from an attempt (this happens in most religions) to take credit for good things while avoiding responsibility for bad things. This is not unique to JWs. There is scriptural basis for thinking that you may be tested to the point of death (i.e. no intervention from god) and there is scriptural basis for thinking that god might help you out. When you're a believer your cognition is based upon the assumption that god is good and worth serving, and when you enter that into the equation it doesn't take much for the believer to start fitting their life experience into the framework that's given to them. Anything good that they're surprised by, they attribute to god and are grateful. Anything that's bad gets attributed to bad luck, satan or whatever and they're unhappy. God doesn't have to do anything.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    If Jehovah didn't intervene to help you, it's because he's allowing things in this system to play out. If something good does happen to you, though, it's because of Jehovah.

This is exactly it! If you got that new job that allowed you to pioneer then that is Jehovah's blessing, even if you personally worked very hard to find it. If you couldn't find it, Satan is testing you and you need to "wait on Jehovah", it's delusional thinking.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    jehoover provided a second hand chair ? i could do with a bigger better TV
  • disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

And I'll throw this in the mix too.

If Yahweh DID provide that poor penniless circuit overseer with a donation of just enough gas money to get them to the next call/village/bingo hall, then how is that not proving Satan's point he made with Job? That we only serve for what we can get out of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit