Flashback: Samuel Herd/Ashland Avenue Chicago

by Phaedra 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

Must have been mid to late 1970s.

It was when they still published the speakers' names on the light-blue circuit assembly programs.

I was a child sitting in the audience at Ashland Avenue's circuit assembly venue. I loved that place with it's own basement cafeteria and baptism pool with a big Jesus getting baptized mural behind it.

Samuel Herd was giving the talk. My child self could only remember my father pointing him out on the program. And he sounded like a baptist preacher. Interesting modulation in the talk. I don't remember much, except that Herdwas one fine black speaker man who was telling us about the Truth and Jehovah and living forever. I believed every word.

It doesn't surprise me he is GB now. I wonder if he remembers those day?

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov
    Maybe these GB members are not happy now, they must feel presure, they have to manage a big corporation.
  • Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    I been there
  • Expanded-Mind
    Expanded-Mind

My first circuit assembly was at the Ashland Avenue Assembly Hall in 1970 when I was about 14 years old. I am not sure if our Hall (location: Palatine IL) was still going to that location in the mid-to-late 1970's... I know that eventually we went to the Assembly Hall in Janesville, WI, but I don't recall what year we started there. In my mementos, I still have at least one of the light blue programs.

• lancegalahadx
    lancegalahadx

I went to Ashland Ave in Chicago from 1980 to 1988...it was replaced with Romeoville, and I remember my first CA in it in Feb 1989.

I also remember Sam Herd was the DO in the early 80s. Remember going to Hawthorne for those?

• pepperheart
    pepperheart

It makes you wonder why they got rid of all the DO posts,might it have been that they were short of money

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

We traveled to Ashland Ave from northwest Indiana when I was a teenager. Scary, scary neighborhood! I remember going to Janesville after that. Now that was a long drive.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

We attended the 7900 S. Ashland Chicago, IL Assembly Hall in the 1970's. It was scary back 40 years ago. Here is a screen shot of the property in 2018.

We traveled to Ashland Ave from northwest Indiana when I was a teenager. Scary, scary neighborhood!
  • Room 215
    Room 215

What an eyesore!

• tiki
    tiki

I remember having him as a district overseer for a very short time and he gave a very insane rant about nuns being raped in the streets and other lunatic things soon to occur when the great trib breaks out. It was very bizarre....he did come off like a crazed evangelical preacher....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit