Detroit the movie on Netflix anybody seen it ?

by smiddy3 6 Replies latest social entertainment

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

A movie about the riots in the seventies in the city of Detroit but especially with the reason for the riots and the attitude of Police and how the nation treated people of colour. and how they treated them and how the justice system failed them .

based on a true story

I found it very confronting yet compelling to watch.

Humans have a tendency to lump everybody together in the same basket ,however we are not all the same, their is good and bad in every race and culture whether they are black, white or brindle .

Anybody seen it and like to comment ?

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

Saw it last night, I thought it was pretty good, I do think that some scenes were really long and really dragged but I’m guessing that was done intentionally to get an idea on how long it must have felt to stand up facing the wall and being questioned and abused.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Not seen it. I can't watch movies where there's gross injustices that try to describe historical events. Often I feel that the scriptwriter or the directors take liberties to make bad people look even worse and good people look even better. I rather read an account of the event that attempts to be as objective as possible, giving the good and the bad of both sides and let the reader decide.

I may watch the movie just as an introduction to the subject, not the final word

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Anybody seen it and like to comment ?

I did a while ago, but to be honest, I also saw the documentary about the race riots in Newark, NJ in the 60s and 70s, and I can't remember which is which. It was a while ago, and all I remember is that i liked them.

• Simon
    Simon

More information about it here:

A total of 2,509 businesses were burned or looted and 412 buildings were damaged so badly that they had to be demolished. 388 families were displaced or rendered completely homeless and 43 people were killed. 33 of those killed during the riots were black and 10 were white. Approximately 1,189 people were injured and over 7,200 were arrested.

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/detroit/

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

The movie did well in portraying what the atmosphere and tensions of the time must have felt like.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Thanks Simon I will have to read the book "The Algiers Motel Incident" and according to the link you posted the movie while taking poetic license in some areas was largely accurate on the whole and the book could clear up those points.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit