Why Do Intelligent People Believe in God?

by cantleave 56 Replies latest jw friends

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity
    Because according to the book 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail' and my Grandmother, I am a descendent of Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene via my Merovingian bloodline. I'm glad this is an anonymous forum. I have my doubting moments, but what would my ancestors think?
  • mrmagic
    mrmagic

Intelligent people believe in "god", for the same reasons atheists follow scientific theories. Really, this first statement of mine is false, as it generalizes and assumes that *all* god believers and atheists are a certain way.

There are always exceptions to the rule, however, god believers and atheists are not so different from each other when seen from a broader perspective. While science has been crucial in bringing Truth to the world, there are still major constraints as to what we are able to perceive with scientific instruments. There are still theories that are followed by the scientific community.

Theories are also followed by the religious community.

You cannot get away from theories, whether scientific or otherwise. Theories/assumptions are needed to function in the everyday framework of "consensus" reality. You simply will not know all the answers to everything.

Then, there's the issue with language, semantics and definitions. A concept like "God" is so broad and subjective that the point is moot in trying to define it. The idea itself is too large for any humans to wrap their mind around. Then again, so is the astronomical distance from the earth to the sun, which the Christian religion is based on. (Sunday morning worship).

Scientists have long understood and discovered that beyond the light reaching us from the farthest reaches of the universe, beyond our observable universe time and space are subjective. Subjective like intelligent people's "God" experiences.In fact, the bible was originally called "Helios Biblio" - the book of the Sun.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    EndOfMysteries: Having been a programmer, researching into AI, genetics, etc., I see intelligent design in all life. I am even considering learning programming again to try to create AI since faster computer processors, memory steadily rising in capacity but shrinking in physical size, cloud computing, camera, audio devices, and the new industrial revolution all have the right conditions to begin to develop this technology.

Any chance you can have it ready by the November elections in the U.S.?

Cofty: Does nobody ever feel the need to read a book anymore? There are facts and then there is stuff people make up with no foundation in reality.

Yes, it's well known that science books will lead men to all truth, at least for a few years. Then we have to throw them away and buy books with completely new information and conclusions. So trust whatever science tells you, you can believe it...at least until the information becomes updated. If had a nickel for every scientific textbook I've thrown away over the past four decades because it had information that had been discredited, and a dime for every newspaper or journal article that announced a new discovery that would rewrite everything we knew on a given topic, I'd have a whole bunch of mayonnaise jars full of coins! Our knowledge is ever growing, but while it's great to have knowledge, man's science will never lead to a knowledge of the truth.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    Any chance you can have it ready by the November elections in the U.S.?

I already have a prototype! Here is a vid clip of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRtVzXUXKNI

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Holy crap! Needs work.

Where'd you find him? I'm going to have nightmares!

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

One thing that I am 100 percent sure of, is that NOBODY in this thread TRULY knows if there is a God or if there is not one.

Many here have belittled others "opinions" on their belief in God, or no God, yet everyone here backed it up with their own "opinion".

Yes, BOTH sides will say, "BUT I have knowledge on this subject", and I have "proof of the subject", and" I have research", on this subject.

To all of you, I say, we all TRULY do not know anything, either way.

• cofty
    cofty
    NOBODY in this thread TRULY knows if there is a God or if there is not one. - Dunedain

I do.

When people assert something like "nobody can prove god doesn't exist" they always avoid defining the words "god" and "prove".

The god of Jesus does not exist. We can prove this beyond all reasonable doubt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit