The Watchtower's Centralization Dilemma

by metatron 6 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• metatron
    metatron

The Watchtower is a centralized, authoritarian organization stuck in a litigious and democratic age.

As such, they face a dilemma.

If elders are appointed by a Central Command - and subject to internal discipline by a chain of authority ( the Circuit Overseers)

leading directly to that Command ---- and if those elders are empowered to expel ( disfellowship) any member, revoking their

status in EVERY CONGREGATION OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES, then.......

they may have a permanent liability problem --- since the activity of any ignorant, window-washing, 'cheese cracker' man

appointed as as elder in Podunk, Alabama may get them in trouble - BECAUSE YOU CAN HOLD THEM ALL LIABLE.

Are elders untrained volunteers? You appointed them TO DO WHAT???!!! Boy, are you in trouble! Are elders clergy?

So, YOU ADMIT they are the equivalent of your 'employees', under your command! This looks like a no win situation.

Don't think for an instant that this weakness hasn't been felt. The Legal dept. sensed it when they ordered elders in Kingdom

Ministry School to handwrite ' 6 things never to write on a disfellowshipping form' - such as reference to anyone in the Service

or Legal Dept. or the name of any Society representative. If you think this centralization isn't a threat in today's world,

ask yourself why a billion dollar corporation like McDonalds had to pay $70,000 because somebody spilled hot coffee on

themselves ( and that was only a FRANCHISE!).

They also sensed this danger when they divided up the Society's assets in 9 or so groups, a while back. They also

- nominally at least- removed some administrative authority from the Governing Body - to try and get them off the hook.

They frequently try to portray congregations as somehow autonomous - or elders as acting on their own - while following

organizational dictates. In the internet age, this deception isn't likely to go very far - especially with legal authorities.

This centralization of control is producing a reactive effect the Watchtower leadership never imagined - yet, something

that would be easily foreseen by an asute observer of authoritarian regimes. It is sometimes called "the Tragedy of the

Commons" - expressed differently it is:

IF YOU CONTROL EVERYTHING, THEN I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE!

Example? If there is no charge for food at assemblies, then it's free and I don't have to donate! ( WHOOSH! Hoagies

vanish instantly!)

If there is no charge for literature, it's free and I can dump it at laundromats or just give it away! ( WHOOSH!

hardbound books vanish, subscriptions vanish, a thousand Bethelites vanish)

If I don't have to think ( it's bad) then all I have to do is follow orders ( Whoosh! dead meetings and field service

appear! Complex hardware and software at Bethel go idle or underutilized - Adult Witnesses reason like children

and fall victim to scams)

Suppose I fall and break an ankle in a rented assembly hall? Should I sue? Why not? I'm not responsible.

( Society's insurance goes up)

Why should I discipline my kids at a Society-recommended hotel? It's none of your business (i.e. I'm not

responsible, it's the Society's problem - Let them Pull the Fire Alarm, so what)

The problem with cultivating child-like cultists - is that you have the burden of supporting them as children.

Now, the Watchtower could go on indefinitely fighting expensive courtcases, covering up scandals, and cleaning up

every mess created by a child-like organization --- but I wonder if radical change could suddenly emerge here - as some

in the leadership realize that they might be better off by dumping their pathological, arrogant control of child-like Witnesses

and just rationalize the 'business' - with pay as you go literature, fewer Circuit Overseers (or none) and a 'hands off' distancing

of local autonomous congregations. Record keeping on df'd people would be local too. Even the Stalinist Soviets let go

of Eastern Europe when they figured that it cost too much.

I don't see how they can do much else. Time and democratic culture are not their friends - and their cultivation of

childish irresponsiblity is accelerating their collective load of trouble.

metatron ( no more idiotic childish 'Questions From Readers, either)

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

For years, the Society has centralized the ownership of kingdom halls. In fact, in Britain, in the financial statements for the corporation "Kingdom Hall Trust", a subsidiary of The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Britain, it specifically states,

"During the year the Trust took title as Custodian trustee to new places of worship and additionally throughout the year several places of worship were transferred from local trustees to the Trust acting as custodian trustee for the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses. This programme will continue until all places of worship are transferred into the name of the trust."

Centralizing the assets of the organization has the advantage of preventing local congregations from defecting and taking their assets with them. On the other hand, it exposes them to the much greater danger of losing those assets to major lawsuits. This policy may come back to bite them.

By the way, you don't actually think that those planted questions from readers are actually from readers, do you?

• Valis
    Valis

Jebus meta...you hurting my brain this morning...I was wondering about the ownership of Kingdom Halls..what if a congo bought and paid for thier own hall and never got a loan from Watchtower Finance Corp and then didn't want to be JWs anymore? I think it happened once here in Texas. ? I also wonder what would happen if JWland fell apart...what would happen to all the buildings and money?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• rocketman
    rocketman

I guess the Society doesn't want to become another Napster. When you're centralized, yep, you're easier to attack.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Centralisation always looks good on paper, but in this day and age is beset on all sides by new pressures. Remember McDonald's - that icon of corporate Americanisation that threatened to engulf the world with a one size and taste fits all philosophy of food? It's struggling in the face of a new era where the methods it once utilised to obtain spectacular growth now no longer work.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_09/b3822085_mz017.htm

BTW, Mcdonalds' spiralling growth occurred in the 50s, 60s and 70s, which coincidentally could be argued to be the heyday of that other centralised monolith, the Watchtower.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

The whole thing is about CONTROL. How much and for everything! I am surprized that the GB have not (as of yet) asked all R&F JWs to pray THROUGH THEM!

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

There's a definite ploy for responsibility avoidance

• who said it? - some zealous brothers
    • who printed it - imperfect (not quite perfect) men
    • who did it - no one, you've been listening to apostate lies
    • who are jws - "They are......." (there's no "we" are)

Them , they, those, other, the overzealous ......................

So where does this responsibility rest?

It's jehovah "we were only doing what he said - don't look at us!"

"but the woman you gave me"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit