More international conventions?

by Azalo 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Azalo
    Azalo

Just from the bits and pieces I get from my mother it seems like the JWs are having international conventions left and right now. My sister got "chosen" to go to Chile. Are they trying to con people into staying by sending them to exotic places?

• Spudinator
    Spudinator

My take on this is that the Society has always had such an inferiority complex that it gets a real charge out of all the PR possibilities from these assemblies. They also keep the R&F oohing and awwing about the great worldwide work they are a (insignificant) part of.

• hippikon
    hippikon

The third World is the only place with any growth>?

• blondie
    blondie

JWs must sign up first to go to these conventions and pass a rigorous application process, much like being approved to be a regular pioneer or a servant/elder. Some areas are more popular so are harder to get approved. Of course some elder bodies/COs are more lenient that others depending on family relationship and money donated to the COs. Then the JWs must pay themselves to go on this tour (several thousands of dollars per person). The WTS does not pay their way. I assume some brother with a travel business is handling this for the WTS and make a lot of money on the side for himself.

Blondie

• outnfree
    outnfree

Hey! There's [another] International Convention at the Pontiac (Michigan, USA) Silverdome June 19-22! The last one was in 1999? 2000? ( Some Michigander help me out here.... ) Anyway, not very long ago! They've become downright commonplace. And trust me, it's no "privilege" to visit the 'dome -- even if I DO live nearby.

outnfree

• Prisca
    Prisca

The last International Convention was held in 1998. The one prior to that was 1993.

As Blondie said, you don't get sent to go overseas, you have to apply, and there's no guarantee that you'll be accepted either. Last I heard, they prefer those who are in some position, such as pioneers and elders.

I have travelled on 2 Internation Convention tours, and they were fun, to be honest. Yes, you do get stuck with some obnoxious JWs, but some get into the holiday spirit and you can have a great time. At least I did anyway. I love to travel, and I saw the tours as a way of seeing the world with people I knew.

• shamus
    shamus

Shouldn't they be out in field service instead?

• crinklestein
    crinklestein

When they had the international convention in Russia we had an elder that went there and then went from there on a cruise through Greece. I thought what a waste of time and hard earned money: to fly all the way to Russia to listen to talks that are in a language that you can't understand.

Well, actually now that I think about it, it was being translated into 4 other languages. So not only to you have the Russian language over the loudspeakers but also English, Spanish and French. All languages blaring through loudspeakers echoing back and forth and meshing into one very loud caotic mess. Sounds like money well spent to me.

• Prisca
    Prisca

I went on the tour to Russia.

I suppose to some it may have seemed like a waste of money, but to meet Russians (including non-JWs) who had never met a Westerner before, to walk in Red Square, and to learn what it's like to live in a country where soap and toilet paper are luxuries, then it I consider it money worth spent. Yes, we spent 4 days listening to talks in Russian, but half of the talks were given in English, and translated into Russian (and the several other languages of the countries represented, such as Polish, Japanese, Finnish).

This was the first time the Russians had the chance to openly practice their religion since the Wall fell in 91. They felt liberated, and it was good to see people being able to practice freedom of religion, just like we do here in the West. True, you could argue that the JW religion is not a liberating religion, but compared to the Russian Orthodox Church and Communism........

Edited to add - when you go on these tours, you don't just go to the Conventions, but you spend at least a couple of weeks touring the country, and visiting other contries in the area. During the tours, we were just a bunch of tourists - you broke off into little groups to tour places, have lunch with whoever you want, take photos, visit places of interest etc.

• Freedomrules
    Freedomrules

I went to the one in Russia too, Moscow 1993. I actually had a good time, one of the more fun things I got to do as a JW. Actually, only fun thing I got to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit