Do you know any good novel about faith crisis?

by paradiseseeker 7 Replies latest jw friends

• paradiseseeker
    paradiseseeker

I'm looking for something to read. I'm interested in ecclesiastical settings like churches and gothic cities. But the most important thing I look for is the inner thoughts and evolution of the main character: his/her feelings of guilt, regular visits to the confessor, self-comfort drawn from faith, praying God/saints, relapses and self-loathing as well as his/her process of "waking up".

I know it's something very particular and there's a lot of junk literature about the topic with poor writing and archetype characters, but if you have read anything of good quality, I would be very glad to know.

Thank you in advance.

• slimboyfat
  • neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

the Star Wars: Servants of the Empire series

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Look for the script of the JW dramas in their assemblies. They are more like a cheesy sitcom, but entertaining nonetheless.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Since you said novel I recommend that you check out this author Chaim Potok

The Chosen is a novel written by Chaim Potok. It was first published in 1967. It follows the narrator Reuven Malter and his friend Daniel Saunders, as they grow up in the Williamsburg neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York, in the 1940s.

Each has been raised as an Orthodox Jew and the novel deals with a very restricted life style much like ultra JW's.

• janusfulcrum
    janusfulcrum

Doubt: A Parable. By Shanley. Great movie, I'd like to read the book now that youve reminded me of it.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Crisis of conscience. It has all the elements you asked for, including the character progression of a cult leader realizing the truth about the cult he was unwittingly leading. Its a good read.

• paradiseseeker
    paradiseseeker

Thank you all for your recommendations! I'll check them out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit