European Champions of Football (Soccer) !!!

by EdenOne 9 Replies latest social current

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

This one went to the underdog!!

Go Portugal!!!!!

Wohoooooo!!!!!!!

I bet on a forthcoming CLAM meeting there will be some local needs part about the dangers of nationalism and idolatry of sports... :P

Eden

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, underdog teams have the world-most-expensive-player in them. But well done to them, he went off injured so it was the team that won, not a star and a supporting cast.

They were lucky though - a dubious handball decision triggered the events that led to the goal. Football really needs a replay ref for these important games.

• prologos
    prologos

there was a lot of handball played in that tournament. copying american "foot" ball?

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

When you have ice hockey, basketball, baseball and the NFL (real football), who needs soccer?

Make the nets wider so they score more goals and I might start paying attention.

• cofty
    cofty

Football is the greatest game in the world.

The standard of "soccer" played by even the best teams in the USA is abysmal.

• Gargamel
    Gargamel

I'm surprised that Portugal were regarded as the underdog. I reckon it was pretty much 50/50 who won.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

This is far more reaching than just a game, you see. There are 1,5 million portuguese emigrants living in France, hard-working, perfectly integrated, and historically have taken all the menial jobs in construction, cleaning, porters ... the french, and the parisians in particular, treat the portuguese with disdain, calling them "les petit portugais" (the small portuguese), and never really aknowledge them as more than cheap labor for 50 years. Over this tournament the french sports press called the portuguese team "filthy", among other endearing terms. So, winning this final at their home, at their lucky charm stadium, on their turnament, against their team, before an audience of 80% french supporters ... is a huge thing, and commands respect. Not to mention that, as far as official games go, Portugal had never won a game against France before, and the only win in a friendly match was in 1975. So... Huge!

Eden

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

I love sports but I just don't understand why soccer is so popular. There is very little physicality, the ball bounces back and forth rarely ever going into either goal during the frustrating 90 minutes of futility. Offences constantly retreat and regroup back to their own net area. The ball goes out of bounds constantly. At the end of the game it turns out it isn't the end because the officials tack on an unknowable amount of bonus time to extend the game just because they feel like it. And you can't use your hands or arms? **** that.

More goals, more red cards, less defenders and wider nets, please. Oh, and hot cheerleaders would be nice, too.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

There is very little physicality, the ball bounces back and forth rarely ever going into either goal during the frustrating 90 minutes of futility ... The ball goes out of bounds constantly - that's because you were watching England play.

There are better teams.

Well done Portugal.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

Go New England Revolution! The only real soccer team to root for!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit