Moments Of Clarity As A Born In JW

by JW_Rogue 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

-When I was in my early teens we were studying the Revelation book for the second time. The first time I didn't understand much but the second time I remember that my family had quite a lengthy discussion about the lake of fire. They were trying make sense of the scripture and the JW interpretation. My young mind just started thinking that it didn't really matter if we understood it or not, it was in the book so it was what we believed.

-1995 The WT changes the view on what a generation is for the first time. My dad who isn't a JW but knew all about the generation teaching says "Oh, I guess they had to change that those anointed were getting pretty old." Part of me agreed with him that that was the real reason. However, I never said anything to anyone about that, instead I followed the rest of my family in thinking that my dad was just cynical and too lazy to be a JW. LOL

- I don't remember the particular year but at the regional convention there was a talk with new light about who the Princes were of Isaiah. Well, after what was probably one the most boring talks ever the brother got to the point, the princes and chieftains were the Elders of the congregation. That they would have a special place in the Paradise as leaders of God's people. I remember thinking that this was a good way to motivate brothers to reach out to be Elders.

- The WT article "Feeding The Many, Through The Hands Of The Few" comes out and again everyone is trying "make it make sense". I didn't really even try, I felt like the brothers were purposely trying to cut down the role of the anointed and raise themselves up above it. Sure, we all knew that the brothers in Bethel were the ones really in charge but why was there this need to make it so clear? Were they afraid that there would be divisions in the org? Also, this new light erased the previous idea that their were always honest hearted ones who God considered part of the slave class. That idea was appealing and seemed strange to change it.

-Again, I forget the year but it was another RC. It was the last talk of the convention, we had been promised very exciting new light. The last talk arrives and it is about the book of Daniel and the feet of iron and clay. Without any real scriptural explanation the brother starts in on how we used to think the feet of clay would be a time when other weaker nations would grow in prominence. Now though it was adjusted to mean that we were already in the feet of clay. That the world powers had already been weakened by different factions within their own countries. As an attendant I looked around at people in the audience and noticed that unlike when I was growing up people weren't very enthusiastic about the new light. No one really even mentioned it, it seemed like it was changed for the sole purpose of making it seem that Armageddon was imminent.

-2013 The article "Seven Dukes, Eight Shepherds" mostly the article was all over the place. The only thing that stood out to me was that now infamous quote and how they want Elders to obey any directive given and in turn the average publisher. Around the same time they released the drama "Walk By Faith, Not By Sight" which also drove home the message of listening to direction rather than using your own thinking. This combined with another fear mongering article complete with JWs huddled in basement really flipped the switch for me to start thinking about what I really was involved in.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Again, I forget the year but it was another RC. It was the last talk of the convention, we had been promised very exciting new light. The last talk arrives and it is about the book of Daniel and the feet of iron and clay.

That was 2011, I believe. How exciting to hear the revelation that there was no special significance to the image having 10 toes, or something equally nonsensical.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/211705/feet-toes-research-noo-lite?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

In honor of Kurt Vonnegut, I call these vin-dits.

I remember the talk about the statue of Daniel and thinking "that's new?" Only to find out that this was something of a flip flop back to a previously held doctrine. Maybe that's not entirely accurate (I never actually researched it) but it made me realize that new light wasn't really important since it would only change again one day.

My moments of clarity were mostly with regards to shunning and the higher education ban. Everytime i listened to speakers extol the virtues if either of these, I found myself thinning "if I were leading a cult, that's definitely something I'd include." It's amazing how long one can continue in the cult even while suspecting the truth.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    My moments of clarity were mostly with regards to shunning and the higher education ban

I actually went to college and continued as an auxiliary pioneer, I think for a short period they relaxed on the higher education thing as long you weren't leaving home to go live in a dorm.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I actually went to college and continued as an auxiliary pioneer, I think for a short period they relaxed on the higher education thing as long you weren't leaving home to go live in a dorm.

Yup. I was lucky enough to be of college age during the belief period in which it was 8 conscience matter. When they started try demonize it again, i couldn't help but refute every one of their arguments based on personal experience. I was not subjected to pressure to do drugs or engage in sexual acts (well I was pressured to have sex, but only by my own biology) or anything else. My education even paid for itself in the first year of my employment in the industry. I was, however, taught to think logically and exposed to worldviews that went contrary to that of a JW. Looking at it objectively, I saw that their stance only made sense if they were trying to keep people from looking at their doctrine from the perspective of someone that isn't already indoctrinated.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Oops, I forgot about the 2013 annual meeting that every hall in the US was tied into. At first I was actually very interested and felt like something big was going to be revealed. Then the announcement of the new bible came and that was nice but not earth shattering. Then the final talk was given by Tony Morris of the GB. Now being that almost all JWs were going to hear this talk I felt like it was going be something really rousing. That the GB would have gotten together and come up with something to show why we should continue on, why the preaching work was important, to commend the Brothers for all the work they do. Instead Tony Morris starts off on his list of things he doesn't like and instead of saying he'll support his talk through scriptures he says it is all supported by "our publications."

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think when we look back it was a series of things that led us to the point of actually waking up, a long list of "moments of clarity" that culminate in a curtain being swept away and all being revealed.

It is interesting that these are very different for all of us, and that illustrates just how much is wrong with the JW religion.

What I still regret is the time it took me to get to the final waking up. But, what happened, happened.

I just hope many more wake up, cease wasting their lives, and step out on the road to freedom !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit