Alcohol Consumption—How Can You Stay in Control?

by Lost in the fog 1 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

So I was doing some research for a community group which I belong to as we are going to present information in the run up to Christmas about the dangers of overindulgence in alcoholic beverages.

Anyway while googling information I spotted that the JW(dot)org website had a recent item on the subject and decided to be nosey as to the advice the wackos were giving out these days.

Here's an actual quote from their website page - "Try this: If you are concerned about your drinking habits, pray to God for help. Ask him for strength and self-control. #

And take time to discover the practical wisdom found in his Word, the Bible. With him on your side, you can stay in control of your alcohol consumption.

# If you cannot control your drinking, you may also need to seek professional help."

So as expected the usual crap about praying to God and asking him to make everything better for you. But then the # footnote caught my eye. They actually allow their members nowadays to seek professional help if they cannot stop drinking!! As that will likely mean a referral by a medical practitioner to a 12 step process group such as Alcoholics Anonymous I was surprised that they said it.

I'm the past any question of joining an AA group with their surrendering to a higher power for a JW was a very BIG no-no!

Have they changed direction on this? Or is it a case that suggestion to get professional help comes after the person has been DF-ed for drunkenness and/or lack of self-control!?

[ Another POMO friend has suggested that maybe it's in the WTB&TS article because perhaps 'AM the 3rd' has been sent by the rest of the GB to a secluded retreat somewhere so he can be dried out from all his bottles of Scotch. Lol. ]

• karter
    karter

There are so many drunks among the J.Ws that they need to do anything to get them to stop.

As a child i remember there were 5 Elders in our congro that drank like fish at any congro get togeather wedding ect they would all sit togeather and knock back alcohol like theres no tomorrow.

As far as i know 1 got removed becouse he crashed his car while drunk.

1 got removed becouse he was caught drunk so many times... He also did some work for me and asked for cash under the table.

The rest are still Elders.

This is inly one congro!

karter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit