There Are Better Songs to Sing

by cofty 6 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

The 1983 film Educating Rita, written by Willy Russell and starring Michael Caine and Julie Walters, is one of the finest stories ever told.

Julie's character is the eponymous working class hairdresser and Michael Caine plays Professor Frank Bryant her Open University tutor assigned, against his will, to teach her English literature. The dialogue is brilliant and funny but it is the dilemma of an awakening Rita caught between two worlds that is deeply moving.

The more Rita learns the more aware she becomes of the emptiness of her life. She is unsatisfied with the limited ambitions of her husband Denny and their extended families. At the same time she knows she does not belong in the middle class intellectual world she aspires to.

There is a scene that affected me profoundly when I watched it during the period that I was 'awake' to the Watchtower but still socially a JW. Rita accepts an invitation to a drinks party at Bryant's house. She arrives late feeling uncomfortable with her dress and her choice of wine. She leaves and joins her family at the pub where they are singing along to the jukebox - 'I'm so happy that you're so happy that we're so happy...together..'

Her sense of disconnection is palpable. She looks at her mum who is silently crying. Rita asks her mum what's wrong and she answers, 'There must be better songs to sing than this.' It's an incredibly profound scene.

If you are caught between two worlds don't give up and retreat to the comfort of the familiar. It will be painful and bewildering but a world with bigger horizons is out there. There are better songs to sing.

• Simon
    Simon

Wow, that's going back a few years. It's one of those movies that I can't really remember (so could re-watch and it would be a mystery) but I remember it being a good watch.

It is a difficult transition, and why I think so many chose the easy path of, well, no path really - just staying where they are, with the status quo. Change is often difficult but you usually come out at least stronger or wiser at the other end, even if it's an unpleasant trek.

• LV101
    LV101

What a great movie Educating Rita was and analogy/observation re/dropping WT for seizing one's life -- love Michael Caine. With all this COVID 19 stress a pub like that is looking pretty darn good no matter which world/lol.

• jhine
    jhine

l have never watched it , but it was on TV a few days ago and l recorded it . Is that what reminded you about it ?

Jan

• mikronboy
    mikronboy

My lovely missus emulated Rita. Her 2 brothers went to posh universities while she was brought up to be a home maker as were most girls of her generation. When she was 37 and our boys all at school, she pushed hard to be accepted on a university degree course and left 3 years later with a BA. She later went to another uni and came away with her MA. That assisted her with obtaining employment as a college lecturer - and now, years later, the pension from that employment makes up for the shortfall in my income, which of course is linked to my own lack of educational qualifications do to me being brought up in the JW religion. Thanks Honey.

• cofty
    cofty

Yes I recorded it and watched it last night. That pub scene is so poinant.

Great to hear a real life example Mikronboy 👍

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

COFTY:

I remember seeing this movie years ago.

Unless my memory is wrong, I thought she didn’t show up for the gathering because she felt she would just be an object of curiosity by all those snooty people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit