The X-Mas thing...

by punkofnice 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• KateWild
    KateWild
    Good for you Malc.....glad things are looking up for you xx
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

thanks Kate.

also--my fiancee has --at long last--submitted her visa application. she missed her christmas deadline--but hopefully will be with me before my birthday in february.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have always liked Christmas as a special time in the middle of Winter, and we enjoyed many happy meals etc, (the etc being lots of booze !) with our JW family that was reunited from far-flung places at that time, though of course, officially, we did not celebrate Christmas.

Now we enjoy Christmas with our non-JW family, and it is a wonderful time that draws us closer together.

Maybe someday dear Punkie, this will all happen for you, but feel free to "Bah Humbug" for now, we will not object.

I shall raise a glass to you, and think of you as I enjoy my Christmas Cigar. I don't smoke as habit, but love the smell of a good Cigar, so I shall puff away on Christmas night, but banned to the patio, as the grandchildren mustn't see old Gramps puffing. (I hope it's not too cold !).

Happy New Year to you Punk !

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Thanks guys.

People ask me, 'Have you done all your xmas shopping?'

I stumble for a reply because to say 'yes' is a bit of a fib as I don't do any. You know me.....always blurt out how I feel.

One person at work said, 'It's okay. We know you don't buy cards. We don't mind.'

• Heaven
    Heaven

I wish people "Happy Yule". This is the pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice and that is real. And after all that's where Christmas was adopted/adapted from.

I love the lights and decorations this time of year. We have people in our area that set the lights in rhythm with certain radio stations playing Christmas music. I will be at my friends' house for Christmas dinner. I will visit my Dad in the nursing home Christmas day. And I will give him a gift. He has no clue anymore.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Punk:

Don't let the depression get the best of you please my friend. Why not take a break from life and treat yourself to an away vacation if you can? I wish you were here brother, the wife and I would happily spoil you rotten ....

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Thanks SSC. Maybe one day. I have a passport too...never used it. One day... (as my Dad used to say). when my ship load of shirt buttons comes in.
  • blondie
    blondie
    I have found among non-jws that the Christmas customs are handled by the women in the family. Few men send cards, bake or make holiday foods, decorate unless it is to put up outdoor decorations, etc. I know many men who have another woman in the family help out picking the wife's gift. No church unless wife insists, no singing carols unless...some don't have a religious background growing up either.
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hope I didn't come across as flippant in my first post Punk', I do get what you're saying.

What are your colleagues like? Is there a meal out organised after you break up for the holidays? I too found it a real effort to force myself to make new friends after I faded . . .

It's a horrible time of the year to feel alone but you know you have a whole bunch of friends here who understand and will listen.

If I ever find myself near Peterborough I'd love to meet you...

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I'm with ya. Christmas seems to be more about nostalgia (like you, I have none for my upbringing) and seeing the season through the eyes of your children (I have none) so without those things it just doesn't mean anything. I haven't been out long, though, so maybe it'll change with time.

I did wrap a couple of gifts (nothing fancy stuff that was essentially free to me that I was planning on giving them anyways) for work friends and enjoyed seeing that they genuinely appreciated it. Of course they expected nothing out of me so that may have enhanced their reaction somewhat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit