JW Burnout

by mackey 8 Replies latest jw friends

• mackey
    mackey

Over the past few months I've had very infrequent contact with my witness friend for a number of reasons. her social circle, my failed attempts to open her eyes, and the mind control all had a part In our drifting apart.

I've recently heard that she seems to be under alot of stress, To the point where there has been a noticable change In her atitude and physical appearance ( I guess she just looks worn out). I know that she suffers from an eating disorder, which she told me has gotten worse lately, and that worries the hell out of me. The last time I saw her, I could see the confusion and sadness In her eyes.

This may sound selfish, maybe even cruel, but I hope she gets burned out, hope she gets sick and tired of the life she Is living. I've done everything I could do. I made It clear that I love her and am here for her no matter what and I know that I've done more for her and have cared for her more than anyone ever has. All I can do Is to live my life the best I can and hope that the love I showed her will open her eyes .I don't want to be the one to tear down her faith, even if It's all a lie, but I do want to be there to help pick up the pieces.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Mackey,

You are exactly the kind of friend she needs -- if she chooses to ever open her eyes and see what a wonderful friend she has in you.

But sometimes a person must hit bottom before they bounce back. So as much as you hate to see what's happening to her, there may be no alternative to let things play out and then be there as needed.

I hope you'll always have the strength to be such a good friend. It isn't easy. Sometimes religion just plain sucks.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Mackey,

You are exactly the kind of friend she needs -- if she chooses to ever open her eyes and see what a wonderful friend she has in you.

But sometimes a person must hit bottom before they bounce back. So as much as you hate to see what's happening to her, there may be no alternative to let things play out and then be there as needed.

I hope you'll always have the strength to be such a good friend. It isn't easy. Sometimes religion just plain sucks.

• Francois
    Francois

Right, Gopher, but if she has anorexia hitting bottom with that means that you die. Anorexia is a "control" disorder. The thinking goes, "They can control everything I do, but they can't control what and how much I eat. So I will control that in a way they don't like." And voila - anorexia.

And with the subject young woman being in a high-control religious cult like Jehovah's Witnesses PLUS you're saying that her eating disorder is getting worse, it really doesn't sound good for her.

Mackey, from where I'm sitting it really looks bad. Perhaps you should "gird your loins" and start taking affirmative action with this young woman. Karen Carpenter I believe had turned the corner on her anorexia, but her heart had been so damaged by the length of time she was actively anorexic that she died of heart failure. Time for you to take action, Mackey m'boy. Go save your love.

francois

• shamus
    shamus

Sorry to hear about the eating disorder. We have a client whom is anorexic... but won't admit it.

• mackey
    mackey

If this girl did not have the emotional issues and the dangerously low self esteem, I would leave her alone. If she were truly happy, It would probably be best not to rock the boat, but her entire family life Is a mess. A terrible thing happened to her sister some years back and I worry for her. I don't feel that I'm overreacting when I say that all of these issues are connected to the WTS.

At first, I wanted her out of the cult because I wanted to marry her, but now I want her out for her own safety. I have battled an eating disorder for many years, so I am well aware of the damage they can cause, so I know I need to do something, but because of the cult influence, I can't get close enough to help. I feel really helpless about It , because I am the only person she ever spoke to about these problems, and because of my desperation and impatience, I scared her away.

In the twisted world of a JW , an eating disorder Is probably a sign of weakness. Thats probably why she never told her dub "friends". They would probably run to the elders and rat her out. Not one of these so called "friends" gives a rat's ass about her health.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

mackey,

I have a similar story to yours with a JW friend. My friend suffers depression which got much worse after his baptism. I also tried to open his eyes about the Watchtower and since, we have very little contact. Last time I saw him, he looked awful. I'm afraid he may be suicidal.

• mackey
    mackey

She told me once that her depression was caused by things outside of her faith, no doubt a result of the fear the wts induces In people. It's hard to see the good In the outside world when you think God will destroy you If you're not a JW. I wish I could make her realize that outside her faith Is a man who loves her and would do anything to ensure her happiness.

• mackey
    mackey

It also does'nt help matters that her father Is an overbearing tyrant who constantly criticises her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit