get baptized right away

by waton 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• waton
    waton

Today's text. The jailer and his (probably totally surprised) household was baptized right away.

By contrast Jesus was an unbaptized publisher for 18 years.

• HoodwinkedToo
    HoodwinkedToo

I'm a bit confused by the "Jesus was an unbaptized publisher for 18 years". I thought he started his ministry AFTER his baptism. Also, wasn't he allegedly about 30 yers old when he got baptized. And finally, did he ever owned or slaved for a publishing house (business for commercial production of literature, music, art, etc.) by forcing pamphlets or other written marketing material onto householders and passerby?

• waton
    waton
    I thought he started his ministry AFTER his baptism. Also, wasn't he allegedly about 30 yers old when he got baptized. Hw2:

As a 12 year old he was discussing "the truth" with the personell at the temple. Today that would be counted on his monthly, and the congregation, branch and worldwide report of an [perfect] unbaptized publisher.

As an example he took at least 18 years to have a trial run. so what is the wt hurry?

Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

• HoodwinkedToo
    HoodwinkedToo

You are right, he would likely be "encouraged" to report his time after "listening to them and asking them questions". Luke 2:46 (NIV) ;-)

And as there are no reports of him "publishing" in the course the next 6 months, he would be soon labeled inactive and dealt with appropriately...

• waton
    waton
    he would be soon labeled inactive and dealt with appropriately...HwT

well. can you imagine a perfect irregular?

delaying baptism after knowing the "truth" perfectly for 18 years?

• sir82
    sir82

The jailer and his (probably totally surprised) household was baptized right away.

Wait, he didn't go over a set of 80-odd questions with 3 elders first? He didn't have to be an unbaptized publisher first? He didn't have to attend every meeting for a period of months first?

I dunno, sounds pretty un-theocratic to me.

• blondie
    blondie

sir82, don't forget that holy spirit came down on Gentile Cornelius and his family pointing to them as spirit anointed by god, even before they were baptized.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I brought this up to my mom, and she said “Oh, well, we just have a better understanding now.” Sigh

• waton
    waton
    Gentile Cornelius and his family pointing to them as spirit anointed by god, even before they were baptized. B

anointed without even partaking of the emblems, ( the apostles ate and drank before being anointed later)

Baptism seems to have been a family affair in those heady days of 18 250 % yearly increase.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit