The Good Samaritan

by LostintheFog1999 0 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LostintheFog1999
    LostintheFog1999

JWs are quick to apply Jesus's parable of the good or neighbourly Samaritan to themselves. Originally they applied it to Jesus but that interpretation changed over time.

However, as I was reading it again recently, I saw a different interpretation. The man who was lying hurt by the roadside was a Jew. He believed that he belonged to the one and only true religion, because they had the Law and the Prophets. They were guided by their religious leaders who interpreted the Law as it applied to the ordinary Jewish men and women. They disdained the gentiles and wouldn't even eat with such people.

Now, which group of people does that remind you of today? Which religious group believe that friendship with any person outside of their circle is taboo? Who rely on their leadership and governing body to interpret the scriptures and through company men they police the ordinary men and women who are in the religion to make sure that they are obeying the rules? When we were inside it likely applied to all of us!

Who then is the Samaritan? He is any person of another religion or of another set of beliefs who is moved from his heart to assist, not because he was told to do it, but because he has genuine humanity.

Many of us upon leaving JWs were battered and bruised and cast aside, ignored by former friends and elders who shunned us, even just as in the parable, crossing the street and going up the other side to avoid having to talk to us.

But we have been approached and befriended by people who are genuine. People who have welcomed us into the real world that exists outside of the JW cult. It is what I found as I grew my own circle of friends. Some of my new friends are what I would call real Christians, others are atheists, and a few are practicing pagans. It doesn't bother me in the slightest because ALL of them are genuine loving and caring human beings who know what genuine friendship means and who have proved to be there when I needed help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit