Military Service Debate

by Steel 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Steel
    Steel

I got into a debate with a JW today about everything tonight and of course it all came back , we would never take up arms against each other , the mark of true Christians, the two greatest commands blah blah blah. I tried to make my case against it but he took a very simplistic approach.

A got home, did some research and found two New Testament stories different about the great faith of Roman Centurians. One was Matthew 8 and Acts 10. I think.

It just seemed really weird that soldiers would be called " men of the lord" while all these idiot witnesses are rotting in prisons because they don't want to do a little jogging and play capture the flag.

Not saying the world isn't full of stupid wars that no one fight for any reason but it seems odd people are so willing to die over cherry picked texts.

• zeb
    zeb

When I was called up for the Vietnam war the elders told me in opposing the call up I was to say it was all my own

idea.

I was also told to oppose alternative service; as again my own idea.

Elders? Looks like they would have been conspicuous by their absence. and there was no mention of financial help-none.

• jhine
    jhine

l assume that the WT quotes " Do not commit murder " but the Jews had that commandment a long time before Christians and they had no problem going to war .

Jan

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

The first gentile christian was an active duty Roman Army Officer - Cornelius. End of discussion.

Romans 13: 7 - Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake. For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing. Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

Cf. (1 Peter 2:13-20)

This command obviously includes military service since no government can exist without a military. So, since the institution of human government is divinely required at this time, so is the institution of a military divinely required.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I brought up to my mom about the army officer who wanted to accept Christ, he was told he could do so right away, not quitting the army. She brushed it away by saying, “Well, we have a better understanding now.” Sigh

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Seems that modern Jehovah's Witnesses have a better understanding than God Himself

According to Acts 10, God was the one who initiated the process for the apostle Peter to preach the gospel to and baptise Cornelius and his soldier friends and associates. And God was the one who demonstrated acceptance of Gentiles and soldiers into the fold by baptizing Cornelius and company with Holy Spirit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit