Prayers for survivors of child abuse

by Nicholaus Kopernicus 1 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

I no longer attend JW meetings. I can't read JW literature either. It's so difficult now to contemplate opening the pages of a watchtower magazine knowing that the organisation which publishes it is steadfast in refusing to engage in child safeguarding.

If you are a JW still, you know that if a wrong is perpetrated and the individual is not repentant, s(he) will likely be disfellowshipped by the congregation sentinels. To avoid this outcone, s(he) needs to demonstrate repentence. The sentinels will likely convey that one such indicator of repentence is prayer. Public prayer is engaged in at JW meeting regularly - at the beginning and end of each meeting. Yet when does the brother saying the prayer address the needs of survivors of child abuse?

Here are examples of two prayers which should be, could be said at JW meetings, but never ever will be....

"Prayer I for the victims and survivors of sexual abuse

FATHER

Since your mercy has been revealed

In the tenderness of your Son Jesus Christ, who said to his disciples:

"Suffer the little children to come unto me”,

we pray that Chrustian congregations may be a secure home where all children and vulnerable adults are brought closer to your Beloved Son.

May all those who have been abused physically, emotionally and sexually by your ministers be respected and accompanied by tangible gestures of justice and reparation so that they may feel healed with the balm of your compassion.

We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord

Amen

Prayer II for the victims and survivors of sexual abuse

Heavenly Father,

who loves and cares for all of your children, especially the smallest and most vulnerable, we entrust to you the lives of the many children and vulnerable adults, who have been sexually abused, and whose trust and innocence have been destroyed. Help us to hear their cries of pain and to take responsibility for so many broken lives.

We pray that within their communities and families they may find understanding and support so that with the help of your grace their wounds may be healed, and they may again know peace.

Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who shared our weakness in all things but sin, and lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit forever and ever.

Amen."

Nope! It is unthinkable for such prayerful sentiments to be expressed in a kingdom hall. That such an organisation dares to suggest that others should repent of error is just so sickening. This organisation is guilty of great wrong and merely brushes it aside via legalisms.

If you are a JW and reading this, should prayerful sentiments like those above be conveyed at your meetings?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Thanks for sharing. Their mistreatment and negligence of children's well being is very obvious. Those who do believe in prayer should be in fact praying for the right things and people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit