Is Revelation a false prophecy; was Luke 21:8 written to discredit it; or is this a massively overlooked bible contradition?

by Island Man 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Island Man
    Island Man

At Luke 21:8 Jesus is recorded as telling his disciples:

"Look out that you are not deceived; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, 'I am he', and, 'The due time has approached.' Do not go after them."

At Revelation 1:1-3 we read:

"A revelation by Jesus Christ which God gave him to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place. And he sent forth his angel and presented it in signs through him to his slave John, 2 who bore witness to the word God gave, even to all the things he saw. 3 Happy is he who reads aloud and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and who observe the things written in it; for the appointed time is near."

The koine phrase translated "The due time has approached" is basically the same as the koine phrase translated "the appointed time is near". And revelation is given on the basis of Jesus' name for it is a "a revelation of Jesus Christ" and records Jesus speaking in the first person in many early verses. Also Luke's reference to the use of the phrase "I am he" could be indicative that false prophets will give messages purporting to be the direct speech of Jesus himself, thus using Jesus' authority to command the obedience of their followers. Revelation does this in Revelation 1:17-19

So what's going on here? Did someone very early on after the writing of Revelation, edit or insert Luke 21:8 as a ploy to discredit Revelation? Revelation was, after all, a dubious and much contested book in the early church, and which was almost left out of the cannon. Or what if Luke was written after Revelation by someone who was anti the book of Revelation? Or maybe this is just a coincidence that highlights another stunning, massively overlooked contradiction in the bible that proves it's not inspired.

Whatever the case, can we honestly deny that the book's contents falls within the scope of the warning given at Luke 21:8?

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Just one of over 100 contradictions in the Bible. We have to remember the Bible is a jumbled mess and most of the books we're not written when they say they were.
  • Coded Logic
  • Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Revelation was written under a drug-induced trip.

John got hungry then ate some wild mushrooms and had the craziest visions and hallucinations ever!!!😜

DY

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The Bible is a collection of Writings, ( the clue is in the name), all of which were written, or "collected", at different times, by people with different Agendas, and I cannot think of one book that does not deserve in some way the accusation that it is a Fraud.

Each Book, or even sections of it, has to be assessed as a separate, and discrete work, of mainly Fiction. We then have to see when it was written, what was the agenda of the writer/s, what genre were they writing in, and what the Mores and Religious beliefs etc were at the time. ( the etc may include a lot, what was the scientific/mathematic knowledge of the writer at the time, for example)

To compare what we find in Luke with Revelation is not just an exercise in futility, it borders on the insane.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Not to mention the fact Russell actually wrote a book called The Time is at Hand! Doh!

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    slimboyfat : Not to mention the fact Russell actually wrote a book called The Time is at Hand! Doh!

And of course, all the other ratbag Christians of the nineteenth century from Miller on, and before, going right back.
    Where's Jesus? Do we need an Elijah to mock him? ( A slight revision to 1 Kings 18:27)
    27 At noon Elijah began to taunt them. “Shout, where's Jesus, louder!” he said. “Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.” 28 So they preached louder and louder and gave all their money to print books as was their custom, until there was no more 29 Midday passed, and they continued their frantic prophesying until the time for the evening sacrifice. But there was no response, no one answered, no one paid attention. Jesus didn't listen."

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Simplest explanation is usually the right one.

Revelation was written as a supernatural revenge fantasy to comfort oppressed Christians under Roman rule.

Doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

• megaboy
    megaboy

Revelations is a book written mainly for decendants of Israel. I believe it even implies that through colorful wording early on in the piece. I believe it was written like this because if it was more blantantly obviois than it already is it would have been withheld from the public or destroyed.

It doesn't play well with European prophetic interpretations and never has, as it pretty clearly talks about the European conquest, right down to the iconicly created image of Jesus which was used as a conquest mascot. I've read many interpratations of Revelations through the eyes of decedants of Romans ancient and new and most have actually caused me to laugh out loud a bit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit