Remembering Kenneth Christensen

by FatFreek 2005 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I remember Ken back in 1959 when I was a freshly married 18 ½ year old. According to his obit he was some 7 years older than me. I don’t know how much earlier he had been appointed, but he was the Marshalltown, Ia, Congregation Servant (the presiding overseer) at a time when 25 year olds were rare.

I had just stated door2door selling (I had no skills) a photographic album plan and believe it or not, Ken quit his full time job of meat cutting at Piggly Wiggly and began selling these plans in a remote territory near Waterloo.

It wasn’t long before Ken was a master salesman and he took me under his wing and we set out for a long weekend of training in Hutchinson, Ks, where Raymond Grey(sp) and his wife Virginia hosted the event in their large sprawling ranch home with some 8 bedrooms. Raymond was gregarious and an extreme go-getter. I believe he was the founder of that company called NATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHERS ALBUM COMPANY, originating out of Ft. Worth, Tx.

It didn’t surprise Kenneth or me that the Greys were also Jws and for several years after, he would be a prominent speaker at our district conventions.

Ken and Crystal already had three or four children at the time and that family would increase to some 7 children by the time he later moved away from Marshalltown to Des Moines at some age 30. I told Ken I would help him in his belongings move and showed up that Sunday morning where we headed south to Des Moines, rental truck loaded. What privately surprised me was that we were the only two who were involved. His brother and all the Marshalltown brothers were oddly absent.

I never saw him again but his older brother Wayne and younger sister remained in Marshalltown.

Wayne, one of the elders, and I became somewhat close, playing an occasional round of golf together. I took wedding portraits of Wayne’s daughter and husband in 1977, just prior to my disassociation.

Wayne phoned me sometime later, asking (humbly) for the photo negatives in behalf of his daughter. I found that request bizarre in that he was requesting a favor from someone as evil as I was in their eyes.

I rose above all that and handed him the package of negatives in the parking lot of the company where I worked. He thanked me.

I never saw Wayne again.

(obit: https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/16670036/Kenneth-Lee-Christensen)

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Fatfreek

Kenneth Christensen made an impression on you. Since he was so dedicated to the end, doesn't it bother you on the way these so-called loyal brothers treat members who either quit or get disfellowshipped? Why does he still live in your mind, but we don't live in theirs?

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005
    Why does he still live in your mind, but we don't live in theirs?

That is a good question. However, in looking back I then sometimes thought of several df'd folks, wishing I could wrap my arms around them. I may have thought it -- but I didn't express that thought out loud.

I'm now 80 and at times think of Barb and Richard, df'd after their daughter was born. They couldn't turn down the blood transfusion their daughter (1 month after our first son was born) needed. If still living, Shelly would have just turned 60.

We have no way of knowing the true feelings of those still in as they may reflect on those who've left the fold. On social media if a JW mentions an ex JW fondly, he probably would be chastised.

Remember the flock-thinning of the early 70's when tobacco users would be df'd if they didn't stop that addiction at the Watchtower defined date limit?

After Glen Harris's funeral, his wife came up to me and remarked how he was truly blessed to have passed away before his inevitable DF.

Len

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    We have no way of knowing the true feelings of those still in as they may reflect on those who've left the fold.

I agree. We really don't know what their true feelings are. They follow the strict orders of the Society.

On social media if a JW mentions an ex JW fondly, he probably would be chastised.

Here is what Anthony Morris told fellow members how he feels about those who have left the fold...

'' Especially these despicable apostates who at one point had dedicated their life to God''

'' how reassuring that they're finally going to be gone, all these despicable enemies''

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit