Do you have a dumb politician like Sara Hansen Young in your country?

by barry 5 Replies latest jw friends

• barry
    barry

We have one in Australia and there is even a song about her. I would like to know if you have someone like this among your politicians.https://youtu.be/BDWXPwL89Sk

• jaydee
    jaydee

good one Barry,....I've never heard that song before.

Who is it that vote for these nut jobs ?......

• barry
    barry

Jayden, I believe Sara only got 200 primary votes to get into the Senate the majority of her votes were preference votes. We don't have first past the post and maybe we should change that.

• Lozza Aussie
    Lozza Aussie

Hi Barry, yes I am here is Australia that stupid bitch was on Q & A last night, I had to turn the tv off I can't stand her, the quicker she's gone the better.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Perhaps a bit of background for others. This young Australian Greens senator (in my view) comes across like an angry left wing Uni student. She is a little out of place, in a party that seems to be trying to become more mainstream. She used to be her party's spokesperson on all matters relating to immigration and boat people, which was an intense political issue. Back then, the Greens were the only significant party that was advocating letting all boat people arrive, and even rescuing them in their attempts.

About 3 or 4 years ago, there was a Senate committee where the military and the customs and border protection department were being grilled. Her questions as a senator revealed that she thought the fictional tv series, Sea Patrol, was some sort of real life reality show.

In relation to the "she only got 200 primary votes", it should be pointed out that these days, there are very few primary votes cast for senators. When voting for the senate, Australians can either number all the available candidates in order (from one to about 100) or simply vote "above the line" which means voting for a party and having preferences distributed as directed by that party. Most people can't be bothered and just vote "above the line".

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

So the majority of voters either in their ignorance or apathy or simply laziness , in the end get what they deserve.

And we in Australia have compulsory voting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit