Is it Earthlink or shunning?

by jws 3 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

Been having a problem the last several months. My dad isn't getting my e-mails. I set up and pay for a monthly Earthlink service in his name so that I can e-mail him family updates, pictures of the kids, etc. He gets other e-mails, but just not from me. He's not exactly computer savy, so it's his wife that actually downloads all the e-mail.

I just sent him something last week and when I talked to him over the weekend, he asked his wife and she said they didn't get anything from me. So now I'm wondering, has she taken it upon herself to restrict my access to my dad by zapping e-mail from me? She always was a sort of dim, narrow-minded follower of the JWs and very afraid to think for herself. And, despite my rejection of the JWs and my "fade away", my father still talks to me every week when I call.

Last night I did a test. I sent 2 test e-mails, one without an attatchment, one with. Then I logged into the webmail version of his account to see whether they arrived. At first I was thinking he wasn't getting them because my e-mail address is a corporation. Maybe their spam filters weren't passing me through. But both e-mails got there. Also noticed he only has about half-a-dozen emails with the oldest from last Friday, the day after I sent my last letter. So, they are checking e-mail. And since it hasn't been checked since before I talked to him, it's not like they've since retrieved my e-mail.

Anyone know anything about Earthlink spam filtering? Is there some sort of artificial intelligence that might label me as spam, like some sort of scorecard? Last night I sent only to my dad, but some of the past e-mails he hasn't received have been to about 12-13 family members. Does Earthlink look at that and decide that it's not personal? And that plus the corporate address might label my e-mail as spam? But the corporate address to him alone might not get stopped because it appears personal?

Or is my dad's wife deciding to block me in whatever way she can. She has been known to go behind my dad's back and write letters which threaten my brother and I to come back to meetings - or else! But that was years ago. Maybe they're pushing the "no contact" ideas now.

Guess now that I know e-mail is sitting out there, we'll see if she admits to receiving it this week...

• Faraon
    Faraon

I don't know about earthlink, but on Internet explorer you can set it up so that you can get a confirmation of mail received.

• Francois
    Francois

Farnon is correct. If you are using IE, you can set up your email to send a receipt to you when your email is opened at the other end. There are several options, so pay attention. But if you set up this option and your mail is opened on the other end, their goose is cooked. You will know all about it, including if it was deleted without being read. It's in Tools>Internet Options.

francois

• jws
    jws

Thanks for the tips. I don't usually use IE/Outlook, but I can give that a shot. I suppose it also depends on the mail tool the person on the other end uses and whether it responds to the receipt confirmation. I can almost guarantee that my unix-based mail program doesn't acknowledge such things.

I'll find out when I call this weekend whether they got my last 2 e-mails or whether I have to start exploring ways to catch her deleting them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit