Article-Tennessean Newspaper (Nashville): "Bill ends shield for parents choosing prayer over medicine"

by AndersonsInfo 4 Replies latest watchtower medical

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/industries/health-care/2016/01/19/bill-removes-protections-parents-choosing-prayer-over-medicine/79001194/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Holly Fletcher, [email protected] 5:26 p.m. CST January 19, 2016

A bill filed Tuesday would remove a legal shield in Tennessee for parents who reject medical treatment for children in favor of treatment by prayer.

It is a crime in Tennessee to fail to provide medical care to children, with an exception, known as the Spiritual Treatment Exemption Act, for parents who want to rely on "spiritual means through prayer alone," according to state code. State Sen. Richard Briggs, R-Knoxville, filed SB 1761 to repeal the exception.

One possible use would be if a parent refuses a blood transfusion after an accident then custody of the child could be transferred to the state to allow the transfusion then transferred back to the parent, said Briggs, referencing occasions if the parent is a Jehovah's Witness and opposed to transfusions, even in life-saving circumstances.

READ MORE:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/industries/health-care/2016/01/19/bill-removes-protections-parents-choosing-prayer-over-medicine/79001194/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

One possible use would be if a parent refuses a blood transfusion after an accident then custody of the child could be transferred to the state to allow the transfusion then transferred back to the parent, said Briggs, referencing occasions if the parent is a Jehovah's Witness and opposed to transfusions, even in life-saving circumstances.

....................Image result for Common sense

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    JWs aren't really into healing by prayer, if you think about it. However, so long as the bill keeps JW parents from denying prescribed medical treatment, great. My issue would be parents who go on the run to defy laws or courts. It's happened before. Yes, with JWs.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

I have to say, when I was growing up here in Canada, I was - privately - very relieved to learn that if I needed it, the state would take custody of me and "force" a transfusion.

And I was a dutiful JW at the time.

• cha ching
    cha ching

One "state" at a time ;-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit