Cult Think-How to deflate good news

by Captain Schmideo2 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2
    Me:"My son is going to South Korea to teach English. He'll get to live in another country, expand his horizons, and live comfortably while he is there!"
    Deeply devout JW brother-in-law:"Oh, it's really bad in South Korea. The brothers have a bad time over there, they get thrown in prison because they won't serve in the military..."

or

Me:"My son has gotten an amazing opportunity to do an internship in Moscow! His lodgings are provided, he gets a living stipend, and he'll be working at Yandex, the Russian version of Google!"
    Deeply devout JW mother-in-law:"They still ban Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia. They are not allowed to preach!"

I know I should realize by now that this is going to be the reaction to anything that doesn't have to do with Pioneering or Bethel, but it still just disappoints and makes me mad.

It also drives home the reason why I, as a young man, never really did anything like this, because I knew that there would be some form of disapproval, either vocal, or in the eyes, of family and members of the Hall.

So, eff all of them! My sons will get to have life experiences that my idiot brother-in-law will never have, or will never be sentenced to a life of waiting for a bus that will never, ever arrive, like my mother-in-law has done to herself.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Oh yeah, I am totally feeling this. Having been raised in "the crazy", I experienced this a lot myself. Nothing is ever positive or uplifting UNLESS it somehow benefits this crazy cult. If it benefits YOU as an individual human being, well that's just "Satan" try to negatively influence you into a sinful lifestyle. And all good JW's know, that anything not somehow pointing towards the benefit of the WTBTS is the broad path to a sinful lifestyle, hedonism, and "Satan", AKA - Everlasting Destruction!

It's all so crazy and self-defeating. No JW lives an authentic life NOW. It's all just going thru the motions for some promised FUTURE life, that MAYBE you will get to live IF you make it past the final judgement at the end of the 1,000 year reign. Maybe. And even after that, if you mess up you'll be instantly vaporized out of existence, because during that time YHWH will have a zero tolerance policy on subordination or independent thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit