Alternative Military Service

by Sea Breeze 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

"What, though, if the State requires a Christian for a period of time to perform civilian service that is a part of national service under a civilian administration? … That is his decision before Jehovah. Appointed elders and others should fully respect the conscience of the brother and continue to regard him as a Christian in good standing. " Watchtower 1996 May 1 pp.20,21

Oops,

Sorry for all the beatings, martyrdom, and years we made you waste in prison. We changed our mind. We do hope that you all will continue with your sacred service as before.

Your Brothers,

The Watchtower bible & Tract Society

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

This is what first started to wake me up. I remember sitting next to an elder at a Circuit Assembly who was not yet a Witness during the Vietnam War, but remembered many Witness young men who went to prison for refusing alternate service. He himself chose alternate service and worked at the US Post Office. I could see the pain in his face when this change happened.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

Yeah, this is one of the more egregious reversals they sneaked in, with scarcely a thought (much less an apology) to the thousands, or tens (hundreds?) of thousands of young men who suffered, or were even killed, because of the particular interpretation of Biblical thought by a group of old men in an ivory tower.

The change in organ transplant policy (was considered "cannibalism" and was a judicial offense from 1967-1980, then became a "conscience matter" afterward) was another big one, though the number of JWs affected likely numbered only in the dozens, perhaps a few hundred.

For any lurking JWs out there: Did Jehovah's view of alternative military service, or organ transplants, change? Did he change his mind?

No, you say? Then what must he think of an organization that presents their own interpretations as "Jehovah's thoughts", when those interpretations were in fact exactly the opposite of Jehovah's view? And who then refuse responsibility, not even so much as offering an apology?

Or maybe the organization was right in the past, and is wrong now?

Those are your choices: Either they (a) were wrong and misrepresented Jehovah's thoughts, reproached his name and are unrepentant (not even asking for forgiveness from their victims), or (b) they are wrong now, actively sinning by ascribing to Jehovah thoughts which are not his. There is no middle ground. Either way, they bring "reproach on Jehovah's name".

Tell me why, exactly, are JWs "a people for his name"?

• cha ching
    cha ching

Good question FFGhost. I knew a married man, father of 4, in the 70's who gave his life rather than bring reproach on Jehovah's name by getting a kidney transplant.

Just a few years after his death "the light got brighter."

His wife is still alive today, he possibly could have been also.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit