How this Jehovah’s Witness feels about the Australian Royal Commission

by Simple Minds 32 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Simple Minds
    Simple Minds

I know The ARC is old news i know i am preaching to the converted but I had to express how I feel because most of my JW friends and family don’t want to hear

So this is how I feel

I have faithfully served as a Jehovah’s Witness for over 25 years.

I was deeply distressed by the reports coming out of the ARC into child sexual abuse with in our organization

When I heard the testimony from the victims, how there innocence and trust had been ripped away from them by so-called “brothers” I was heartbroken and so deeply saddened I cried.

Jesus said,“ There is nothing hidden that will not become manifest, nor anything carefully concealed that will never become known and not come out in the open” Luke 8:17

I still can’t get the thought out of my mind that these animals have ruined hundreds of thousands of young lives, and their suffering is still on going. I feel disillusioned thinking how could this be happening in Jehovah’s spiritual paradise?

When the ACR was in session, there were thousands of news agencies worldwide running Critical headlines like “The ARC has brought to light evidence that the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses child abuse policies have fail to protect children, have traumatize the victims, and protect the abusers.”

I feel deeply saddened that the way organization has handed cases of child abuse has brought so much negative criticism on Jehovah’s people and reproach on Jehovah’s name.

I understand that we are all sinful and imperfect, but I am still really shocked by the fact that there are so many child abusers within our organization.

I remember being out in the ministry and pointing the finger at the Catholic Church when the media first started revealing the truth about pedophiles in their church, I remember saying

“By there fruits you will recognize them” But now feel like a hypocrite

The information the ARC reviled was from Bethels own secret files and the testimony of elders that showing that we do have a serious problem with child abuse, In regards to child abuse I see we are no different from other religious organization, but it is not just the fact that we have this problem, its all the secrecy and the way abuse victims are treated that really

Upsets me, Jesus said “whoever stumbles one of these little ones who have faith, it would be better for him if a millstone that is turned by a donkey were put around his neck and he were pitched into the sea” Mark 9:42

As a Jehovah’s Witness, I know I have to remain silent, about what I think and feel if it is in any way critical of the organizations child abuse policies, because that would be viewed as causing divisions. But if the organization wants to know how I feel about the ARC I feel disillusioned, depressed but most of all you silencing any criticism make me feel helpless.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

A Statement by David Clohessy of SNAP

For 25 years I’ve been the director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We have more than 15,000 members across the globe in all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. And we’ve helped victims, witnesses and whistleblowers in other institutional contexts too, like athletic programs and Scouting and summer camps.

I can’t recall ever seeing a policy anywhere that is more predator-friendly and self-serving than the Watchtower’s “two witnesses” rule. On its face, it is dangerous and callous. If any crime is likely to have no witnesses, it is child sexual abuse. If the law enforcement community adopted this rule only a handful of child predators would be charged, convicted and imprisoned every year.

One wonders if this rule means that Jehovah’s Witness officials do nothing even when they hear about another JW official admitting to molesting kids.

This policy endangers kids and invites predators. It protects only one small group – the Jehovah’s Witness hierarchy. Even then, it protects them only in the short-term. Thankfully, more victims are finding the strength to report child sex crimes, more police are investigating them, more prosecutors are prosecuting them, and more lawyers are suing them.

As Martin Luther King said “No lie lives forever” and “The moral arc of the universe is long, but it bends towards justice.”

This rule will be revoked someday. The only question is how much moral authority and members will the Jehovah’s Witnesses have squandered and alienated – and how many kids and families will be devastated in the meantime.

Outside of the Jehovah’s Witness hierarchy, virtually every other adult believes that we should all call police if we see or suspect child sex crimes. (Not everyone does this, of course. But nearly everyone believes this is the right course of action.) But the JW hierarchy is wrong on both fronts – policy and performance, belief and behavior.

The “two witnesses” rule is a stunningly heartless and reckless policy that is guaranteed to cause more heinous crimes against children.

About David Clohessy

Since 1991, David Clohessy has served as SNAP’s national director, setting up local support groups and doing thousands of interviews (including Oprah, Sixty Minutes, the Phil Donahue Show, Good Morning America). He’s been a community organizer in poor neighborhoods and provided political and public relations consulting. David is married and has two sons.

David Clohessy
    Executive Director, SNAP
    Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
    7234 Arsenal Street
    St. Louis MO 63143
    314 566 9790, [email protected]

• the girl next door
  • the girl next door
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hi Simple Minds. The reason you feel as you do is because you still have your humanity. As for staying silent, don't you suppose there are others in your cong' who feel the same way? All wanting to have that conversation but not quite brave enough to start it?

Don't be disillusioned, there are more like you than you think.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

And this is why many are suing and trying to change things, they know the average JW is helpless and they will never band together to make sure children are protected. Instead they will remain silent or find a place that won't jeopardize their lives, not that they're are heartless I mean, many really are disturbed by what's going on but if it doesn't effect them personally they can keep quite!

• Simple Minds
    Simple Minds

Girl next door

I loved that you quoted Martin Luther King he has always been someone I have looked up to
  • Simple Minds
    Simple Minds

I am not remaining silent

but i am learning that if i go in all guns blazing they just shut down

I tried talking to a friend and he tried to say leave it in Jehovah hands so i screamed "don't you care about the abuse victims" he said you sound like an apostate, so i said "since when has caring about child abuse victims been apostasy? they left soon afterwords

so i am learning to say little bits at a time rather than screaming at them.

• jhine
    jhine

Simple Minds congratulations for keeping your compassion and sense of justice despite long years in the org. The obvious question is " why do you stay in ? " Do you have family to lose ?

Jan

• Simple Minds
    Simple Minds

yes 99% of family and friends are JW

i am physically in but mentally out

i suppose until you disassociate or are DF you are still a Jehovah wittiness?

my life is in transition i am trying to workout what i need to do to get my life back

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit