Is zeal beginning to vanish?

by Caupon 57 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Those that go out do so out of a sense of DUTY and OBLIGATION...certainly NOT out a sense of LOVE or EAGERNESS.

• Simon
    Simon
    the opportunities to hide behind a book trolley or an iPad just never existed so we learned our presentations and at least made an effort to speak to people.

I agree.

When they've called on us they can goto a couple of scriptures in Matthew and Genesis and that's about it. If you start talking about anything other than their set presentation they seem lost - they just want to handout a leaflet.

They do seem to be turning into JW-Lite, a watered down version of the preachers of the previous (overlapping) generations.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

I think all of you have a point. What I'm really starting to see is that...most witnesses don't give a hoot about field service or change of doctrine...what floats their boats is that this is "God's Organization". I didn't become a witness because I thought it was God's organization, because I know God isn't partial. God knows human pride...they can't seem to get a handle on it. This is most of their claim to fame....In conversations I hear them say, things have really changed from then to now...but it's still God's organization. You can see them puff up with pride & we must remember many of them may have had a problem with pride all their lives. I would have to start another topic to tell you all what I see & hear...I think most are afraid if this is not God's channel....just think how much egg would be on their faces...imagine how many people they have said this to. Remember in the Movie a Few Good Men..when Jack N. says...You can't handle the truth...most witnesses if not all could not handle if this was not the truth...this is their anchor...They put faith in man...& we know where that leads ? Don't we. I see the sadness in the congregation. I see how when we read a WT or any thing else the org. publishes, they don't even see...One WT, a sister went away, spent up all her money, she was at the airport, again no money...met a classmate & the classmates family took her in...did she know them, were they JW's or worldly folks..ummm, they were worldly folks...so then all worldly folks are not bad...& this sister trusted them..ummm...what about this last WT, where JW's were in a basement...this is supposed to be during the GT...why does everyone have a magazine & one of the brothers has a Ipad...Uh ? So during the GT, there will be internet? More Ummm...anyway did anyone catch it...nope..Cuz they most likely feel that only JW's will have internet during GT. Anyway...sorry to go on...I'm ok being their because I don't drink the kool-aide. I do what I'm supposed to do just to keep them away from me. One brother told some others in the congregation...This is a sharp sister...& guess what I am. I listen to them but don't take heed. What I found out also...can't take Man too seriously..B'cuz he can't direct his own steps...

Tor

• kairos
    kairos

I'm sad when I think about what it felt like when we found out "Jehovah" is actually the Governing Body.

That was a real letdown.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    ''Apathy'' is the greatest ailment of the Borg, more so than ''apostasy''.
  • Listener
    Listener

Welcome Tor1500 and great to hear your thoughts and observations.

Maybe this Cart witnessing has backfired on them. You could hardly call it witnessing in the first place. They made it out to be something of a privilege if you were chosen/allowed to do it.

Those that weren't asked are probably feeling deflated and look at door to door work with less enthusiasm. Those that have done the trolley work must be finding it so easy to stand there and say nothing, no confrontations and no rejections. It's easy work and when they can't do it and go door to door instead, they also must feel less enthusiastic about it.

I just thought about the thread title and the use of the word 'zeal'. How old fashioned and out of date is that? They are trying to catch up to the modern day and age but are stuck in the past, it must be so boring to many and especially the younger ones who can't relate to it at all.

• Khaleesi
    Khaleesi

I do believe many JWs are just burned out & the schedule is soo perfunctory that it gets soo exhausting.... there were many times by the end of the service mtg we would have rainy days debate whether to go out D2D or not people start talking having hot coco & coffee, that is the time i would see them get all happy for just associating.... & especially cuz D2D was cancel no one would say it's canceled but it was implied.... I'm soo glad I don't do any of that anymore

• titch
    titch
    I think that you could replace the word "zeal", with the words "enthusiasm", "excitement", and "passion".
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Going in serve-us was easier when you had a big collection of magazine route calls spread out all over a large rural county.

Drive for 20+ minutes, talk to a lonely, elderly householder for 20+ minutes, visit that nice bakery off in the corner of the territory for 20+ minutes, there you have an hour+ "preaching" and you could do that twice each month with each pair of new ragazine issues. So that's an easy 2 hrs each month. That option is long gone.

Now there are only minizines (or tractazines) every other month that are so thin and devoid of any content that it would be easier to just read them to the householder than to come up with a "presentation" for them. That old route call is reduced to maybe an hour every other month.

• Spiral
    Spiral

I had not been in a KH for ten years before having to take my Mom on Sundays. I have seen a HUGE difference - everyone seems depressed. If there's much service going on I'm not hearing much talk about it, nothing like when I was growing up. Kinda sad for my Mom, she's looking for the GT...... tomorrow!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit