Meet Olivia Newton-John's Grandfather, Max Born

by DNCall 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DNCall
    DNCall

Olivia's maternal grandfather fled Htiler's Germany in 1933. He was one of the founders of quantum mechanics and a close friend of Albert Einstein. It was Max Born who famously wrote: "The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it, seems to me the deepest root of all that is evil in the world."

• waton
    waton

good thing that he got out of Breslau, that lost all its Jewish population in the holocaust, and that the communist empire in its expansionism west, - during the great ethnic cleansing- incorporated in its landmass. --They are still at it as we speak.

It is so great that he made it to Scotland to teach there!

Remember the millions that did not make it out in time, the lives and future talents (like his granddaughter and others) that were never allowed to exist.

• Magnum
    Magnum

That reminds me of an incident that occurred about 40 years ago. I was taking a university course in materials science as part of an engineering curriculum. The beginning of the course included some quantum mechanics. The professor was talking about Max Born and he asked "do you know who his granddaughter is?" In a big auditorium, I shouted "Olivia Newton-John." I'll never forget the look on his face; he looked at me in shock that I knew that.

I was a collector of math and science books and had read that in several books (no internet back then).

• St George of England
    St George of England

Her dad got a double first at Cambridge (?) then an MA. They left England in 1953 for Australia where he continued his academic work and eventually became a professor.

He also had a distinguished RAF career during the war, working in code breaking and intelligence along with interrogating captured German pilots and officers.

It's a wonder O N-J didn't follow the family academic line.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit