The possible extinction of cults

by Sugar Shane 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sugar Shane
    Sugar Shane

Here's a link to an interesting article on the apparent demise of cults. I can remember being accosted by various culty groups back in the '70s, while walking through the airport in LAX.

This article ties the dwindling number of cults in western culture, to a shift towards secularism. I wonder if the JWs are a part of this trend, yet perhaps slower to die out due to sheer numbers.

As mentioned extensively in other threads, the bad press against JWs, along with leaks, and everything else available on the internet would certainly accelerate their downfall. I believe that the smaller cults which have all come and gone are tantamount to the 'canary in the coal mine,' and are indicative of what's in store for the Watchtower.

Here's the link:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/anxiousbench/2014/06/where-have-all-the-cultists-gone/

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    There will always be cults. Maybe not religious cults, but they'll find other forms.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

Their will always be cults of one sort or another it`s in human nature ,There is always somebody who puts someone else on a pedestal . whether its a human or a mythological deity .

smiddy

• millie210
    millie210

Interesting article.

Perhaps secularism will be the reason less people get sucked int.

Cults will survive as long as the human need to turn over ones thinking to a higher power does.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit