and early judicial committee with Rutherford

by neat blue dog 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

While disfellowshipping was doubled down on and reinforced during the time of Raymond Franz, it definitely existed before that when needed and fits right in with Rutherford's personality. Here's an account of Norman Woodworth who left for Dawn Bible Students, and his proto-judicial committee. All the modern hallmarks of apostasy trials are there, from the witch-hunt nature to the big all-important gotcha question at the end:

we .... decided to visit some brethren who had left the Society soon after Brother Russell’s death. .... One morning I found a note on my desk instructing me to appear in Brother Rutherford’s office at once. I did so. He asked me if it was true that I had made this certain visit, and I acknowledged the truth. He told me to be back at his office in an hour, and when I returned, I was confronted by the board of directors. ... When asked if I believed that the Lord had an organization, and that the IBSA was that organization, my reply was that I did not believe that any man or any group of men had a monopoly on God’s truth. .... There was no doubt then that to remain .... with this group meant that one had to obey them rather than God.

He goes on to say that some who knew things weren't right still believed it was the truth and 'waited on Jehovah', a philosophy shared by many PIMI JWs today:

Some brethren preferred to remain loyal to the IBSA, believing that conditions there were only temporary and things would be made right by God in his own due time and manner.
  • TonusOH
    TonusOH

Interesting, that they convened a board of directors and basically told this fellow that they were God's organization. I didn't realize how much today's GB mirrored the early organization. Russell and Rutherford left a deeper impression than I had thought.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Citation please

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

TonisOH:

Well to be specific this was after Rutherford's takeover. Russell specifically spoke out against an organization and considered individuals from other denominations as being Christians.

dropoffyourkeylee:

It's from the Dawn Bible Students magazine's 90th anniversary issue.

http://www.dawnbible.com/2022/2210-hl.htm

• Earnest
    Earnest

Norman Woodworth's Memoirs in full can be read here.

This episode concluded as follows :

I was warned by Brother Rutherford that most of those who had left the Society had engaged in nothing but slandering and misrepresenting him. I assured him that while I had no idea of what I would do, I knew I would have something more important to occupy my time than to talk about him. This was about midmorning, and I was denied the privilege of even remaining there for lunch. He told me that he would announce to the brethren that I was a traitor and issue orders that none of them were to speak to me under any circumstances or have any dealings with me.

In this connection, I well remember a time later when in Brooklyn that I met a group of my former friends as they were walking home for lunch, and as we passed they kept their faces set like flint straight ahead. For some reason, after they had gone by and I continued on my course, I just turned around to look at them, and then I noticed that one of the brothers was putting his hand out behind him waving to me. I knew then that they, too, were feeling the bondage.

On a personal note, Norman Woodworth initiated the Frank and Earnest radio Bible program in the late 1920's where an “earnest” seeker after truth would ask questions about the Bible or world events. A student of the Bible would give “frank” answers from the Word of God. When he subsequently joined the Associated Bible Students of Brooklyn he continued the radio program with them.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Wow - so sad and ever relevant.

• RolRod
    RolRod

Norman Woodworth actually started the radio program for the Society, and took it with him when he left. With the help of the Brooklyn Bible Students, the program continued sporadically. Then took off in 1928. They published a little paper with the dialogue of that week's presentation called Bible Students Radio Echoes. In 1932 that paper became what is today known as THE DAWN magazine. Woodworth led the DAWN until his death in 1977

• Samcats
    Samcats

Related to Clayton Woodworth?

• RolRod
    RolRod

Samcats ... rumor has it they were cousins

• Earnest
    Earnest

Samcats : Related to Clayton Woodworth?

The Who's Who of the IBSA records that "it appears there is no family relationship [of William Norman Woodworth] with Clayton James Woodworth."

However, I think they probably are distantly related.

• According to Norman Woodworth's Memoirs, when he arrived at Brooklyn [from Winnipeg, Manitoba] "I enquired of Brother C.J. Woodworth ... as to why he had brought me from Winnipeg back to New York."
    • When Norman Woodworth's father (who had by now moved from Nova Scotia to Eastern Pennsylvania) died, "Brother Clayton J. Woodworth came to take charge of the funeral service" in their home.
    • Also, after Norman Woodworth had left Bethel and joined the Associated Bible Students of Brooklyn, "we received a letter from Brother Clayton J. Woodworth ... It was a kindly letter. He recognised that what he had heard of our program was the truth, and he urged us to return to our former association and to continue our work there rather than to work with those he considered to be disloyal brethren."

All this suggests to me a very personal interest of Clayton Woodworth in Norman Woodworth and his family, perhaps a cousin of his father (Clayton W was 21 years older than Norman Woodworth).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit