Anyone seen this? Seems to be a startup JW site for leaning languages

by Funky 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Funky
    Funky

Scanning thru the usual JW sites, I saw a link to this site:

https://www.talk2practice.com/

Looks like a standard language-tutoring site, right?

But then you go to the "work with us" tab, where you apply to be one of their instructors, and at the bottom you see this:

https://www.talk2practice.com/work-with-us

There's nothing else anywhere that I see, even on their "About Us" tab, that even hints at it being a JW site and/or run by JWs.

There's something "off" about this site, but I can't quite figure out what, aside from the "almost but not quite completely hiding that they are JWs" thing.

• Funky
    Funky

Here's one thing that's odd:

Click on the "Teachers" tab and select any language.

All the photos of the teachers are of attractive people aged about 25-40, with the backgrounds all very similar - spacious, modern, bright, designer furniture, large windows....basically very large American-style houses that virtually no young JW window-washer / janitor / house cleaner could come close to affording.

I guess it's conceivable that a bunch of young, wealthy, white American JWs all decided to become language tutors on a lark, but....

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The Watchtower has had its own language learning app for some time ...fine if you want tp present the good news in Japanese

• keinlezard
    keinlezard

Hello,

'Daily text' is not necessary an JW clue :)

I know a least on site to learn english that has "a daily text" , it 's just an basic english text , that we read each day :)

• Listener
    Listener

Under the teachers tab the theme for all languages is

🎵 THIS IS THE BEST LIFE EVER 🎵

A pop up is showing a lot of people booking so it this is a start up business then they are doing really well.
    Unfortunately, there is no where on the site that allows the customer to hear anything so there may be a lot said about the teachers but no actual video of them speaking in any language

• Funky
    Funky

It just seems so sketchy, from beginning to end. Weird photos, JW dog whistles ("daily text", "best life ever"), obviously made-up glowing testimonials.

• TD
    TD

It just seems so sketchy, from beginning to end

It does. Or at the very least, unprofessional.

It says you need a basic knowledge of the target language to participate.

Okay, what would that be? A2? B1? B2? Maybe even C1?

The site doesn't use the basic terms of language learning.

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

"Leaning" languages is so fun!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First, there are multiple ways to learn another language. One is the Rosetta Stone, which I do not recommend because it is very limited in its scope and the software is very fussy (both in installation and in terms of your speech). There are other ways to learn languages, one of which is simply using the Internet to find YouTube videos and order course material and books in the target language (preferably also in your native language until you reach B2/C1). The drawback is obvious: Unless you are serious, you are not likely to stick with it long enough to reach A2.

This washtowel system is worse than any other way. Even worse than the Rosetta Stone. How? You are simply taught what is needed to function as a jokehovian witless, nothing else. You will not get the vocabulary needed to rebut the washtowel--just enough to function in that religion and preach the rubbish to others. This gives false fluency--you might be fluent in the phrases needed to preach, but you could not pass a B2 exam in general proficiency. (Let alone at the C1 level.) Not to mention, you are indebted at the astral level, if not also in the physical level, to this dangerous religion.

I would rather take the classes in a school, online or in person, or put up with the limitations of the Rosetta Stone or the difficulty of organizing your own program. (Which, by the way, can take you where you wish to be, provided you can find the books written in your new language to advance and a good unabridged dictionary.)

• JeffT
    JeffT

It doesn't look or feel JWish to me. Interestingly, there is nothing on the website to indicate who owns it or where the money goes. I wouldn't be surprised to find out its owned by somebody like the Scientologists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit