Koreans Becoming Disillusioned with christianity

by fulltimestudent 6 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

At the start of Sydney's lockdown, family gossip told me that a relative who is a Pastor, was telling his church members, "You cant catch the coronavirus in church."I've hear nothing since, but its interesting that in South Korea, a major outbreak was traced to a South Korean church that had organised a series of recruiting campaigns in China's Wuhan city.

Now, the Hongkong based newspaper, The South China Morning Post (one of the best informed news outlets in Asia) says that South Koreans are getting pissed off withe the Jesus mob. Its interesting, because Korea was one of the only East Asian nations, that the 17th century catholic missionaries (who were based in Beijing) were able to make many converts. Today, some 30% of South Koreans claim to be Christians (maybe 7 or 8% of that 30% are Catholic).

Here's the SCMP's claims:

South Korea’s Christians losing faith amid coronavirus outbreaks linked to churches, pastors say.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

You can't catch coronavirus at church? Maybe true for some people--that is, those who can't catch it at all. This may be a result of having had SARS or one of the coronaviruses that just cause regular colds. It might also be because you are taking so much quercetin and zinc, along with other vitamins, that even if you caught it, you couldn't get sick at all.

However, going to church is not one of these factors. Going to church only drains your spiritual energy for the purpose of bringing their filthy messiah to enslave the whole earth (who is coming fast enough without your help). Which leaves less to prevent getting sick with coronavirus. The priests who claim that no one can catch coronavirus at church are lying--if you are vulnerable, you can catch it at church just as easily as at a movie or class of similar size.

And, even worse than coronavirus, going to church only helps the reptilians with their aim to get their messiah on this earth in months instead of 80 or 90 years. Everyone that goes to church or studies that filthy bible is helping with this, plus helping plant more curses on yourself. Not to mention, you are helping them impose mandatory coronavirus (and flu) shots for everyone, with race wars where the white race is eliminated and the other races are further degraded, World War III, a famine, and more widespread restrictions on vitamins and whatever you could do to help yourself. Wearing masks while alone at home, even after having your mandatory coronavirus shot, is what you get when you keep going to church or reading that bible.

• intropist
    intropist

I know Korean people are super religious. They are not gonna be changed so easily by such a thing like the Corona pandemic impact or something.

If you understand Korean, visit http://www.jw.or.kr which I'm running.

Machine translation is not perfect but, you may make use of the service of https://papago.naver.net/website?locale=ko&source=ko&target=en&url=www.jw.or.kr

- Ray Ryu

P.S.

They shall not be able to go to church when they all die from the virus.

https://youtu.be/PVjiKRfKpPI

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

A couple of years ago, I saw some data (similar to the Pew report) that indicated that South Koreans were giving up religion at the rate of around 1% of the population, per annum. (And obviously that is before cv19.)

I suspect this COVID-19 is very bad for the organised religion industry, and is probably accelerating the decline, everywhere, including South Korea.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

South Korea is super competitative with high focus on plastic surgery and suicide. When it comes to understanding of mental health, they are a third world country. But some of those kpop slave girls sure look cute and they are generally good on visuals. GB knows that too. I am sure there is a lot of Christianity in the country with an equally unhealthy approach.

• greenhornet
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Intropist posted: "I know Korean people are super religious. They are not gonna be changed so easily by such a thing like the Corona pandemic impact or something."

Were you being sarcastic? If so, I apologise for dissecting your comment.

A Pew research comment (August 12, 2014) noted: (Quote) "South Korea has no majority religious group. Its population includes a plurality of people with no religious affiliation (46%) and significant shares of Christians (29%) and Buddhists (23%). South Korea’s current president, Park Geun-hye, is an atheist with connections to Buddhism and Catholicism, according to the Council on Foreign Relations. (See 1)"

On that basis, your statement, (as above) should have read, "Some Koreans are super religious," because, clearly the number of Koreans who have no stated religious affiliation (i.e.46%) is not insignificant.

Interestingly. only one year later, a Wikipedia entry (See 2) claims that the 2015 national census gave the following information. (Quote) "Religion in South Korea is diverse. The majority of South Koreans (56.1%, as of the 2015 national census) are irreligious. Christianity and Buddhism are the dominant confessions among those who affiliate with a formal religion. Protestantism represents (19.7%) of the total population, Korean Buddhism (15.5%), and Catholicism (7.9%). A small percentage of South Koreans (0.8% in total) are members of other religions, including Won Buddhism, Confucianism, Cheondoism, Daesun Jinrihoe, Islam, Daejongism, Jeungsanism and Orthodox Christianity" (See 3)

That 'some' Koreans are suoer religious is true, as the history of catholicism in Korea can demonstrate, and as seen in this image portraying Korean Catholic martyrs who died for their faith (See 4)

So, yes. some Koreans were and are super-religious in the same way that some JWs are "super-religious" and died for their religion (refusing blood transfusions).

-------------------------------------

1. https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/08/12/6-facts-about-christianity-in-south-korea/#:~:text=1South%20Korea%20has%20no,%25)%20and%20Buddhists%20(23%25).

2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_South_Korea

3. "성, 연령 및 종교별 인구 - 시군구" [Population by Gender, Age, and Religion - City/Country]. Korean Statistical Information Service (in Korean). 2015. Retrieved 17 March 2018.

4. Quote: "The Korean Martyrs were the victims of religious persecution against Catholic Christians during the 19th century in Korea. Between 8,000 - 10,000 Korean Christians were killed during this period, 103 of whom were canonized en masse in May 1984." (link) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Martyrs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit